Plum Fudge Puddings

Wednesday 18 January 2012



I had some lovely plums that I picked up in the grocery store the other day. It's not often you get nice ones this time of year. We had our fill eating them raw and then I decided to make a pudding with them.



I found this lovely pudding recipe in a book put out by Ryland Peters that I've had for a while now, entitled "Easy British Cooking, simple recipes for traditional British food." I just love this book. It's just full of lots of easy British Comfort Food types of recipes. I have almost all of their easy series books and I can highly recommend each one! (The recipe credit for this tasty dessert goes to Louise Pickford.)



There were several things I loved about this recipe. First of all the ingredient list was simple . . . fresh bread crumbs, thinly sliced fresh plums, butter, cream, honey and a bit of brown sugar and spice.



After making a very simple fudge sauce of butter, cream and honey . . . you simply layer everything up in little ramekins . . . and then bake.



Twenty minutes later you are rewarded with some of the most delicious little puddings you have ever tasted! They went down a real treat with some cream drizzled over top. Sooooo delicious indeed! We both really enjoyed them.



They were not too sweet, just a bit tart . . . with a bit of crunch and a bit of scrum. In short . . . perfect!



I can see that they might be tasty if made with other fruits as well . . . like blackberries and apples, or pears, or even blueberries. They were very similar to what we would call a fruit "Betty" back home.



I do hope you will give them a try. You won't be sorry if you do. I just cannot imagine anyone not liking them. They would be a most impressive, simple and quick dinner party dessert as well.

SCRUMMO!!




*Plum Fudge Puddings*
Serves 4

This is kind of like an apple brown betty, except it is made with plums and has a creamy fudge sauce. Yum!!

50g unsalted butter (3 1/2 TBS)
50g of runny honey (2 1/3 TBS)
2 TBS double cream
2 TBS soft light brown sugar
1 tsp ground mixed spice (see right side column for a recipe to
make your own mixed spice)
75g fresh white bread crumbs ( 1 1/4 cup)
2 ripe plums, stoned and thinly sliced
Cream or creme fraiche to serve

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Have ready 4 (150ml) glass ramekins. (4 ounce size)

Put the butter, honey and cream into a saucepan and heat, whisking constantly,until melted and amalgamated. Put the breadcrumbs into a bowl and mix with the sugar and spice.

Divide half of the buttery fudge mixture between the ramekins. Top with 1/2 of the plums. Top with half of the bread crumb mixture. Top with the remainder of the plums. Top with the remainder of the bread crumb mixture. Drizzle the remaining buttery fudge mixture over top of each one evenly. Place the ramekins onto a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, before carefully unmolding onto dessert plates. Serve with cream or creme fraiche for spooning. Serve warm.



Cooking in The Cottage today, Crisp Oven Fried Chicken. Deeeeelicious!!

6 comments

  1. Yum, the colour is just so pretty too. Perfect dessert to combat this wintery spell we all seem to be suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous & yummilicious pudding!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great and it has to be delicious. I love plums so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your signature touch is the cream on top! It gets me every time and I just HAVE to have it : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could I please ask......Can these be frozen? many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never frozen them so I can't really say yay or nay with any authority. What I would do if I was you, is freeze one and see what happens. Sorry I can't be of any more help!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!