Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet Dinner

Tuesday 13 March 2012



This is one of those delicious kinds of meals that you need to have up your sleeve when you have a house full of people, but don't want to spend hours slaving over a hot stove.



it's also a real family pleaser. My children always loved this and I confess to having a certain fondness for it myself. I also have been known to cook this for a few missionaries in my time. It always goes down a real treat.



They get lots of roast dinners during the week . . . everyone tries to feed them fab meals . . . so once in a while I like to treat them to a meal that would be similar to something that they would get at home, and cooked by their mums. This is comfort food, pure and simple, and something that keeps them coming back for seconds!



Something homey, comforting and filling, and incredibly tasty. Pasta combined with browned minced beef, garlic and herbs, onions, bacon, herbs and oodles of rich and gooey cheese. It has all of the elements of a bacon cheeseburger but without the bun.

All you need on the side is a delicious tossed salad and some crusty rolls. Really . . . this is VERY good . . . and quick . . . and easy . . . a real family pleaser. Another tasty treat from my Big Blue Binder. (It does make rather a lot, so if you want you can place half of the meal into a casserole dish, seal well, and freeze one for another time!)



*Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet Dinner*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

This is one of those great family style dishes that not only tastes delicious, but is also quick, easy and feeds a crowd. You can cut the quantities in half if you like, but I'd also like to add that it freezes very well and so it's one of those things you can have in the freezer, ready to whip out at a moment's notice!

16 0unces uncooked pasta (I find shapes work well like fusilli or shells, rotini or something like that) (1 pound)
1 kg of extra lean minced beef (2.2 pounds)
16 ounces streaky bacon (1 pound)
1 onion, peeled and minced
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tins of tomato soup
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp mixed herbs (freeze dried basil, freeze dried oregano, parsley, marjoram)
8 ounces extra strong cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups I confess I probably do use more, but start at 2 cups and add as you wish)

Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove with and set aside to drain. Add the minced beef, onions and garlic to the drippings. Cook, stirring from time to time, until the beef is lightly browned and the vegetables are soft. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the herbs. Crumble inthe cooked bacon. Add the ketchup and tomato soup. Bring to the boil, then simmer while you cook the pasta.

Cook the pasta in lightly salted water according to the package directions until tender. Once tender, drain well and then stir into the beef mixture. Add 3/4 of the cheddar cheese and stir it in to melt, then sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top and allow to melt. Serve right from the pan with lots of crusty bread and a tasty salad on the side.

10 comments

  1. Good meal... Can't go wrong with pasta! I made some today too... come see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meals like that are so comforting. I should have them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and tasty ... I will try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious, I just love any dish containing pasta.

    You are welcome to join in my food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here all bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me a bit of a dish my Mom used to make when my sister & I were kids...VERY homey, after-school dinner food. ;o) Happy Day, dear Marie ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. this one looks like a winner. Thanks for stopping by, always enjoy your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just made a one-person version of this (didn't have any more pasta!) and it's lush! I used half a tin of chopped tomatoes and some tomato puree instead of tomato soup, but still tastes fab - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed zany! It's a keeper! Love your adaptions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this tonight & it was quite yummy.
    The only change I made was to DRAIN the meat, onion & garlic (before adding soups & herbs & bacon) and rinsed it off with hot water. Too much grease!!
    Then I added the soups & herbs and 1/2 can of water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heidi, thanks for your comments. I never have any grease in the pan to drain off because I use the extra lean ground beef. I never ever buy or use anything else. Regular ground beef is far too fatty as is what they call the lean. It's only extra lean for me! Also depending on where you are from, our bacon is a LOT leaner than it is in North America as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!