Harissa Potatoes

Friday 2 March 2012



Harissa is a Tunisian hot chili sauce commonly eaten in North Africa, whose main ingredients are piri piri (a type of chili pepper), serrano peppers and other hot chili peppers and spices such as garlic paste, coriander, red chili powder, caraway as well as some vegetable or olive oil. I have never been to North Africa, but I confess I love harissa!



I usually buy the Rose Harissa Paste by Belazu. It is a heady combination of rose petals and over forty spices, which give this paste a very unique aroma and complex, yet unmistakably spicy, taste. It has a hot kick to it but the rose petals in the sauce provide a unique balance to the chilli heat. I like a bit of spice, but not a lot, so the Rose Harissa Paste is perfect for me. OF course you can adjust the heat by adding more or less, according to your own taste.



I often toss hunks of potatoes with a bit of oil and harissa paste and roast them in the oven until they are all crisp and golden, with a bit of delicious heat and spice. I also add some to my chunky oven wedges that I like to make from time to time, oh so good with a sour cream dip.



Today I chose to pan fry some of the salad potatoes we grew last summer, the pink fir ones, in a mixture of olive oil, onions, garlic, spices and some rose harissa paste. I think they turned really lovely. (We've had the potatoes stored in a covered bin filled with sand just outside our back door and they have kept beautifully.)



Nicely spiced with crunchy bits . . . beautifully coloured and just spicy enough without going over the top.



We enjoyed these tonight with some grilled chicken breasts and vegetables. They were scrumdiddlyumptious! I have always loved pan fries, but these take pan fries to a whole new level!



*Harissa Potatoes*
Serves 4LinkPrintable Recipe

Spicy and delicious with little cripsy bits. These go very well with roasted meats, poultry or grilled fish.

3 TBS olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
750g of waxy potatoes (salad type), thickly sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds) (I used pink fir today)
5 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 heaped tsp of harissa, or more to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
a large handful of coriander leaves, chopped (cilantro)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring for about 1 minute. Add the potatoes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, harissa, cumin and sea salt. Mix together well. Add enough boiling water to barely come halfway up the potatoes. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes, gently. Remove the lid and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes longer, until cooked through, tender, beginning to turn golden and the water has all been absorbed. Stir in the lemon juice and coriander and serve.

You can find recipes to make your own Rose Harissa here, and regular Harissa, here.

7 comments

  1. ooo, they do sound spicey, you know who would love those, our friend Chris, she loves hot food.She made curry the other day and it wasn't hot enough so she went over to the grocery and bought more chilies to put in it.
    These she would love.Have a wonderful friday Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe, I just made quails that are marinated with Middle Eastern Spices..... Love a bit spiciness and you got lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Those sound so good, Marie! I don't this I've ever tried harissa--I'll have to see if I can find some around here...it sounds perfect with the potatoes...

    Sending love and happy thoughts your way, dear, dear friend...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Harissa paste here Marie, especially with chicken! A great idea marrying them with spuddies.
    Millie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I love anythings spicy... and this is a wonderful, simple way with potatoes, Marie--Thank you! :o) ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visiting from Cookeatshare and was excited to see the harissa recipe.I just recently posted a harissa carrot soup. It was a little hot for me, so maybe I will see if I can find the rose petal version to balace it out! Sounds delicious.
    If you want to check out my Moroccan harissa carrot soup with a recipe for homemade harissa here is the link http://glutenfreewithjudee.blogspot.com/2012/02/this-rich-moroccan-spiced-carrot-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favourite spicy sauces, Harissa,and what a great idea to add it to spuds!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!