Chocolate Orange Chip Cookies

Sunday 30 December 2012



Terry's Chocolate Orange Milk 175g  


When I was growing up a Terry's Chocolate Orange was an incredible treat . . . something special that was only ever available during the run up to the Christmas Holidays.  There was something really magical about the way it fell apart into segments . . . just  like an orange would . . . and the flavour . . . wow, orange and chocolate, amazing.   A beautiful flavour combination.



They're a little more common these day, pretty much available all year round.  I like to save them for a Christmas treat though, and so I resist buying them at any other time of the year . . . kind of like I resist buying strawberries in January.  There's just something very seasonal about a Terry's Chocolate Orange, and it's absolutely  not as tasty during any other than the Christmas Season.  Am I alone in this???  I am sure I am not . . .  I think that when you make something an every day thing . . . you take something pretty special away from it's . .. well . . . specialness  . . .



And what about all those other flavours they have come out with now???  It's just plain wrong and I have never even been tempted to buy or taste any of them.  A Terry's Chocolate Orange has to taste like a Chocolate Orange in my opinion . . . not of mint or anything else.  I don't want it filled with popping candy or anything else strange.  I will stretch to a dark chocolate one versus a milk chocolate one  . . . but that's as far as I will go.

 

I do confess to being a bit of a glutton when it comes to them though . . . and when they put them on sale close to Christmas I cave and buy at least half a dozen of them, telling myself that they will come in handy as gifts for people.  And, in all honesty . . .  I did manage to part with one this year, sending it in the Christmas box to my daughter and new son in law.  I hoarded all the rest though . . . and today with New Years looming and remembering my policy to not eat them any other time of the year I decided to do something rather tasty with the ones I had left.  (One and a half . . . don't judge me.)

 

Today though  . . . I think I created a  monster . . . tis true.  I took my best Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and I exchanged chopped up chocolate oranges for about half of the chocolate chips.  All I can say about that decision is . . .

 

ahhhh . . . . I'm a genius.  A rather fat genius, but all that aside . . . I just know that you will LOVE these.  In fact if I were you, I'd rush to the shops now and pick up a few chocolate oranges while they are still on sale.  The orange flavoured ones . . . none of those other ones . . . grab one or two or three and

 

WHACK it!  'Nuff said.  (I may just have to break my seasonal rule this year . . . sigh . . . )



*Chocolate Orange Chip Cookies*
Makes 7 dozen
Printable Recipe

The perfect thing to do with those leftover Chocolate Oranges after Christmas. 

2/3 cup Trex, Crisco or White flora (145g)
2/3 cup butter, softened (150g)
1 cup caster sugar (190g)
1 cup soft light brown sugar (200g)
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 tsp orange extract
3 cups plain flour  (300g)
(may need more)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 pound mixture of coarsely chopped semi sweet chocolate and chocolate orange segments (16 ounces)
115g of coarsely chopped toasted walnuts (1 cup)


Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Lightly grease several cookie sheets and set aside.

Cream together the butter, shortening and sugars in a large bowl until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, orange extract  and vanilla paste. Sift together the flour, salt and soda. Stir into the creamed mixture to make a soft but not sticky dough. You can add a bit more flour if you need to. Stir in the chocolate and chopped nuts.

Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls and set on the prepared cookie sheets, two inches apart. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with the rest of the dough. These are fabulous!

Store in an airtight container.  They also freeze well.

Coming tomorrow . . . Cowboy Casserole.  Tasty, tasty!

5 comments

  1. Fabulous. I'm with you on keeping seasonal foods to their seasons. I know I can buy fresh strawberries in January, but the taste really isn't there. I do buy frozen fruit all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm these sound and look delicious! I will definately be using our left overs and sticking them in cookies. And even more exciting - the kids don't like Chocolate Orange's! Haha.

    Hope you had a good Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son-in -law..one of them ..loves choc-orange..duly noted and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you sacrificed one of your Terry's Chocolate Oranges for your chocolate chip cookies...ORANGE you glad you did?
    Like you, I only like the orange ones, can't companies leave perfection alone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these yesterday with some chocolates left over from christmas, they were delicious. i used a bit of chocolate ofange but also some roses chocolates chopped up too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!