Recipes that are delicious and that always work!

You know these recipes are delicious because if I didn't think that they were fabulous . . . I wouldn't be showing them to you. You can also be sure that these recipes work for the same reason! The rest is simply a matter of taste.

Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Homemade Hobnobs ... Bigger, Better Buttery Biscuits stogged full of oats!


 photo 63241e5d712bfdfa8db53b47b33c2e6f_zpsa462fe14.jpg
(source)  

If there is one thing we British love . . .  it's our biscuits, or cookies to you North Americans!   There is no end to the varieties in the shops.   Beautiful chocolate bourbons . . . two buttery dark chocolate rectangles put together with a chocolate buttercream.   Garibaldi's, affectionately known as Squashed Fly biscuits . . .  almost crackerlike and stogged full of sweet little currants . . .

 photo hobnob_zpse85ef5d8.jpg

Buttery Rich Tea, Shortbreads, Jammy Dodgers, Digestives, Custard Creams . . . to name but a few.  My favourites are Hobnob's.   Oaty, buttery, nobbly, crisp and faintly tasting of golden syrup.  They come in a few varieties, including chocolate covered, caramel and chocolate covered, chocolate chip, etc.  My favourite though are the plain old . . . unadulterated hobnob!  You just can't beat a good old fashioned crisp oatmeal cookie!  You just CAN'T!

   photo SAM_4906_zpsb7ec369d.jpg

And when they're homemade hobnobs, they're even better!   They look like the real thing.   They smell like the real thing . . . they taste . . . like  SUPER hobnobby hobnobs!  Seriously.

 photo SAM_4907_zps47d896e6.jpg

Crisp and sturdy cookies.  Perfect for dunking.  (Do you dunk??)  In milk or in tea, or even in coffee.  These are absolute wonderful.

  photo SAM_4914_zps5fc80c81.jpg

Unadulterated with any wierd flavours . . . just butter and oats . . . and a just the merest hint of caramel from the golden syrup . . .  if these aren't better than the store bought ones, I'll eat my hat.  It's impossible to eat just one.  Impossible.  There is only one danger in baking these . . . a taste of one of these and you will NEVER settle for a store bought one again!  Don't say I didn't warn you.

 photo SAM_4905_zps5ac2cc38.jpg

*Homemade Hob Nobs*
Makes 20
One of Britains favourite biscuits made from scratch.  If anything these are even tastier!  
M-O-R-E-I-S-H!!


140g butter (scant 10 TBS)
140g sugar (3/4 cup)
1 TBS milk
1 tsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
140g self raising flour (1 cup)
110g of rolled oats (1 1/3 cup)

 photo SAM_4911_zps1ba1c257.jpg


Preheat the oven to 150*C/300*F/ gas mark 2.  Line a large baking tray with baking paper.  Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Beat in the milk and golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda to mix well.   Stir in the flour and oats, mixing all together well.

Divide and shape into 20 equal sized balls.  Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.

Scoop off to cool on a wire rack.  Store in an airtight container.

Try not to eat them all at once!

41 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these - what a treat!! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Patricia! I am sure you will like them. They are gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would be our basic Anzac Biscuits in New Zealand and they are definitely yum and great for dunking in either tea or coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds tasty Jenny! These are great dunkers for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good..love the first image too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are really good Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!!! Okay, I'm going to have a British classics blogging weeks. Crumpets, hobnobs, and currant scones. What else should I add to the list?? Victoria Sponge!!! Joe and I are definitely making HobNobs today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rock Cakes and Victoria Sponge are really British, both recipes are on my page here if you want to use them April. Definitely Crumpets. Fruited Scones. (which is what we call the currant ones) Hooray for British week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie, I simply adore HobNobs and am so disappointed when I open a batch that's stale b/c it sat on the store shelf too long. Not too many Americans know how delicious these things are.

    Never thought to bake them at home, but I will now that I have your recipe! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you like them Coco. I think they are pretty gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie - just checking that it is indeed only one teaspoon of Golden Syrup - thanks so much, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, just 1 teaspoon Patricia! It seems like an insignificant amount, but it gives it that special flavour that only comes from golden syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Marie I love you! Well I love your recipes! I made these today and they are out of this world! I little too good, I wanted to keep eating them and skip lunch! I can't believe how perfect they came out. Some I made at half the size too and they were just as dandy.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS. I'm sharing your post and my photos on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Mary! So glad you enjoyed! They are a little bit too good, I agree! It's impossible to leave them alone! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're in the oven as I type this! Can't wait. Might just have to brew another cuppa to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay!! I hope that you enjoyed them Babsie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love a great oatmeal cookie, but I'm not sure where to find golden syrup in my neck of the woods. I'll do some looking, but there's always Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amanda, you can use corn syrup if you can't find the golden syrup. Use the light corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good, Good Lord, these are wildly delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why oh why did I have to find your blog? After an incredible struggle of many years trying to overcome my hobnob addiction, here you are, giving me the most scumptious, luscious, lip-smacking yum-yum hobnobs in the world.............
    Tried the recipe (I knew I shouldn't!), ate them all... need to make some more!
    Lol; absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much! On my way to try and see if you have a 'ginger nut' recipe - see what you've done? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh dear Baijoz, have I created a monster? Lol Seriously though these are very good. Have you tried my Digestives?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yummeeeeee Marie, I definitely need to make these. Hobnobs are my hubby's favourites. Now confession time... I used to dunk certain biscuits but because I try not to eat them anymore, I've got out of the habit.
    I'm now seriously needing to dunk! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. These beg to be dunked Denise! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. An American here weighing in.... The first hobnobs that I ever ate were the ones I made from this recipe. Over here the phrase we use for the best recipes is "insanely delicious", and these definitely are. Highly addictive! I'm planning to make them regularly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed them Janet! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know! I love that, insanely delicious! I'm going to remember that! xo

      Delete
  26. I make a batch of cookies every Sunday to fill the jar for the coming week's lunchboxes and treats, and these are for sure what I'm making today. I don't care how much Lyle's costs in my little Texan grocery store, I'm going to get it. My daughter loves hobnobs with a passion, and they are nearly impossible to find here! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Clara, you will definitely enjoy these! They're gorgeous! You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've just made these and eaten one, they taste soon good. oh dear, how do I not eat the rest before team collins get home, bury my own head in the garden maybe? �� I'm new to your blog but I love it. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Angie and thanks for your comment! I am so happy you like these and that you took the time to let us know! xo

      Delete
  29. Yay! Made this tonight and they are delicious! So much better then the purchased ones. Will attempt to top them with chocolate tomorrow. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy they have been enjoyed Beanish! Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know! xo

      Delete
  30. My favourite biscuit!!!
    I really loved the taste of hobnobs biscuit so much that, I had to search if there was a better tasting oat biscuit out there. Then I stumbled on this beautiful blog :)

    THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE RECIPE!
    Now I can even have it with less sugar like I've always wanted.
    I'm from Ghana though, and I don't know how readily I can get the ingredients, but I'm very optimistic!
    My main concern is WHETHER I CAN GET A BETTER TASTE IF I USE MORE THAN 1 TBS MILK?
    This is going to be my first time baking, and I'm looking forward to the wonderful experience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel, thank you so much for your kind words. Angel, I have to say you cannot get a better tasting oat biscuit than this one! Don't mess with perfection! 1 TBS is all the milk you need to achieve a beautiful crisp and wonderful oat biscuit! Thanks for your kind comment re my blog! xo

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying moi as well, it's really appreciated.
      I'd stick to your advice! xoxo

      Delete
    3. Sorry I forget to address you, Marie Rayner.

      Delete
  31. Thanks for the reply, Marie Rayner.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Been craving my beloved hob nobs for a few days and I'm begrudged to buy a pack and I found your recipe. They're perfect! I subbed golden for maple as thats all i have in and halved the recipe as I lack self control. I will no doubt be making these again :) TY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy they were enjoyed Naterlee and nice to know you can also use maple syrup! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy! Please don't attempt to leave spam. It will be deleted immediately.