Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Corn Skillet Supper

Wednesday 18 June 2014

 photo SAM_5382_zpsf3f0dda5.jpg

I am a big fan of delicious and simple one pan suppers.  Especially during these warmer months when I tend to spend more time out in the garden and less time in the kitchen cooking.  Quick, easy and simple suppers are the rule of order most days.

 photo SAM_5381_zps1a0aa53c.jpg

This is one of our favourites.  It combines a lot of the flavours of your favourite corn chowder, with pasta and cheese . . . with  a lovely smokiness from the sausage, garlic,the heartiness of corn, the richness of cheddar cheese and a bit of stodge from the pasta bow ties.

  photo SAM_5383_zpsf1132aca.jpg

It's like a very thick chowder and every bit as satisfying as you favourite corn chowder, except it is a lot heartier and makes an excellent family dinner for four.  I add herbs . . . marjoram and thyme . . .  which go very well with the sausage and corn . . .  and the cheese.  There are a few sausage skillet supper recipes floating around the ether, but this is mine and it's an original.  It's showing here today for the very first time!

 photo SAM_5389_zpsb66410c4.jpg

The spring onions scattered on top add a nice touch of colour and additional texture.   All you need to make it a complete and very satisfying meal is to add some crusty bread to sop up all those rich cheesy juices and a salad on the side to help complete some of your needed five a day.

 photo SAM_5380_zpsc5c9f5b8.jpg

*Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Corn Skillet Supper*
Serves 4

One of those quick and easy skillet meals that uses things most people have in their larders.   Simple and delicious.

1 TBS Olive oil
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
450ml of chicken stock (2 cups)
1 (400g) tin of creamed corn (14 oz tin)
110ml of cream or milk (1/2 cup)
8 ounces of small pasta shapes (I like to use bow ties)
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
180g of grated strong cheddar cheese, divided ( 1 1/2 cups)
a handful of sliced spring onions to garnish, both the white and green parts  

 photo SAM_5393_zpsf16a4534.jpg

Heat the oil in a large skillet  over medium heat.  Add the smoked sausage and brown on both sides.  Scoop out and set aside.  Add the onions.  Cook, stirring frequently, without browning, until softened.   Stir in the garlic.  Cook until the garlic becomes very fragrant.   Return the smoked sausage.   Add the stock, creamed corn and milk or cream.   Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme and marjoram.  Stir in the pasta shapes and bring to the boil.   Reduce to low and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the pasta has cooked and the sauce has thickened somewhat.  Stir in 2/3 of the cheese to melt.   Scatter the remainder over top and remove from heat.  Cover with a lid and allow the cheese on top to melt.   Scatter the spring onions over top and serve immediately.

11 comments

  1. It must be risottoish?
    :) looks like comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it is kind of risottoish! I never thought of it that way, but you are right! It is comfort food for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious. I'll have to try it. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gloria! You're a dear friend! Love you! xxoo

    I hope you do try it Jenny. I was quite pleased with how it turned out! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! This looks heavenly to me! If I had to choose someone to come and make meals for my family every night, it would definitely be you! Mouth watering food. Thanks for sharing, I'll be making this one too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Valerie! I would love that! We'll have to try to make it happen some day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am off to the store in a minute to get some ingredients I need for this recipe. I'm making it for dinner tonight and doubling the recipe because I know I will want more and leftovers too. Can't wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm back to say that this dish was so yummy! We all loved it! It's a keeper. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valerie! I am so happy that you made it and that you all enjoyed it! Nice to know as well that it can be doubled! yay!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!