Chili Fry Tacos

Tuesday 28 March 2017


I was looking for something quick and easy to make for our tea the other night.  I needed to go grocery shopping and there wasn't a lot of fresh things to choose from. I always have a pretty well stocked store cupboard and so I dug into that for some inspiration. 



In the freezer I found a bag of good quality frozen chips.  (As if I would buy yukky ones.  Never!)  I like the skinny ones. Todd likes the fatter ones. I try to compromise somewhere in between.


I also had tins of chili con carne in the cupboard. I also have homemade chili frozen, but I didn't have the time to thaw any out. I was feeling pretty miserable with my cold and Todd was hungry now.


Hello "Man-Food!"  Yep. Chili Fry Tacos.  I think these were inspired.


You don't have to go with just my suggested toppings of cheese, sour cream, lettuce, olives, peppers and spring onions.  Use any toppings that you generally enjoy on chili fries or tacos!  You can have it all and I am positive you will enjoy! Todd really did. Colour me happy.



*Chili Fry Tacos*
Serves 4
I had a can of chili and a bag of frozen chips, and I thought why not. It was a very good idea. 

1 (4 serving size) bag of good quality frozen chips
1 tin (400g) (14 1/2 oz) good quality of chili with beans
8 soft whole wheat taco boats
210g of grated strong cheddar cheese (1 cup) 

to serve:
shredded lettuce
sour cream
chopped spring onions, green peppers and black olives


 Preheat the oven to the temperature recommended on the pack of frozen chips/french fries. While the fries are cooking, heat the can of chili over low heat until it is bubbling. Place the taco boats on a baking tray.  Once the chips are golden, divide them between the taco boats.  Spoon an even amount of chili over each.  Top with the cheese. Pop them into the oven to heat the shells and melt the cheese. Scatter with the lettuce.  Dribble on the sour cream and sprinkle with the onions, peppers and olives. Serve hot.


Its amazing what you can do with a little bit of creativity, imagination and a well stocked larder. I really hope you will give these a go!  Bon Appetit!

2 comments

  1. Replies
    1. I hadn't either Monique, but I was making Chili fries for supper and thought why not try them in a tortilla and it worked splendidly! I bet your little boys would enjoy! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!