Cranberry, Pecan & White Chocolate Flapjacks

Sunday 19 November 2017


Cranberry, Pecan & White Chocolate Flapjacks.  Prepare yourselves to fall in love.  This is a fabulously moreish and delicious bar you are really going to enjoy!

Sorry for the background in these photos today.  I was fighting with waning light.  We have had one of those days.  We set off for the grocery shop fairly early, only to discover that there were roadworks on one of the major roundabouts to get to where we wanted to go.  

Roadworks in the UK mean one thing  . . . a huge  traffic nightmare.


As a result a trip which should not have taken very long took twice as long and so I was very late getting these delicious bars into the oven and back out again!  

I had to take my photos quickly before it was too late.  I didn't have time to set up a plainer background.


Don't let that put you off of making these delicious flapjacks however!  They are easy to make and fabulously tasty!  

In North America a flapjack is a pancake. Here in the UK it is a scrumptious buttery and sweet oaty slice/bake!  Perfect for enjoying with a hot cuppa!


This delightful version is filled with lovely toasted pecans, white chocolate bits, and dried cranberries . . .  aside from the usual things that is . . .

Incredibly moreish.  Incredibly delicious.


The main ingredients is porridge oats (not quick oats not old fashioned).  Plus there is plenty of dessicated coconut.

Add to that a scrummy mix of melted butter, brown sugar, and  . . . *gulp*  . . . lush golden syrup.  Oh boy, but these are incredibly tasty.

This is a winning combination.


Melted white chocolate is drizzled on top. I say that rather loosely, because I have NEVER been able to drizzle white melted chocolate.  


If I don't manage to burn it first, I end up dobbing it on.  That's the best I have ever been able to manage.


Dobbing it . . .  and in as decorative a manner that I can.  Any tips to share anyone?  Anything that actually works will be great!  

I have tried everything. Even mixing in a bit of shortening doesn't work for me. I really need help with this!


Never mind. They taste great even if they aren't as pretty as they could be with beautifully drizzled chocolate. 

You seriously want to be trying these. Not only are they very simple to make, but I believe they are destined to become one of your favorite teatime treats!


*Cranberry, Pecan and White Chocolate Flap Jacks*
Makes 12


Sweet and scrummy.  Just perfect for those times when you want a little something to give you some extra energy. 


140g butter, plus extra for greasing (1/2 cup plus 2 TBS)
200g of porridge oats (2 cups)
25g of dessicated coconut (1/4 cup)
50g light muscovado sugar ( 1/4 cup packed)
5 TBS golden syrup
170g toasted pecans, broken into chunks with your hands (1 1/4 cups)
60g dried cranberries (scant 1/2 cup)
100g bar of white chocolate (about 3 1/2 ounces)




Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a 7 by 11 inch baking tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.  Set aside. 


Melt the butter together with the sugar and golden syrup, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Set aside to cool.


Stir together the oats, coconut, pecans and cranberries.  Pour the cooled butter mixture over top.  Stir to combine well.  Break up 2/3 of the chocolate into bits and stir into the mix.  Press into the prepared pan.


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and mark into squares while still warm.  Allow to cool completely, then cut all the way through.  Melt the remaining white chocolate and drizzle it over top of the bars. (HAH!) Store in an airtight container.



I wasn't quite sure what to make of flapjacks when I first moved over here.  I are not like granola bars . . .  or even like cake bars . . . but they are very delicious no matter.  Crisp edged, buttery and chewy middled.  They always go down a real treat! One bite and you will be in flap jack heaven. Buttery, sweet, nutty and oh-so-very hard to leave alone. Resistance IS futile. Bon Appetit! 

Cranberry, Pecan & White Chocolate Flapjacks 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan@aol.com 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments

  1. I've made oatmeal bars for yrs..I would say that's a flapjack now that I have heard your description..love oatmeal bars:)Bet these are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very, very good Monique! Almost TOO good! lol xo

      Delete
  2. Yummy! And here in South Africa we call these Crunchies! From plain oats/coconut/syrup to delish recipes like yours!😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the name Pat! A rose by any other name, eh? Tasty irregardless! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!