Country Tomato Pie

Monday 17 August 2009



I've always found recipes, cooking and food very interesting. I've been collecting recipes since I was 7 or 8 and have always found the chemistry of it fascinating. I can be cooking a cake, for instance, and I will start to think and ask myself questions . . .


Questions like, who was the first person that put flour, eggs, fat and sugar together and came up with cake? And why? What inspired them to do so?



I have always found it amazing that, by combining just a few simple ingredients together, you can create something totally edible and wonderfully tasty. . . and that you can then take the same ingredients and put them together in a different way, using a different method and come up with something equally as delicious, but totally different!




For instance . . . you can put together a starch (bread), some cheese and sliced tomatoes, and then, with a bit of seasoning, you have a scrumptious cheese and tomato sandwich . . .

or . . .



change the starch to a pie crust and layer in the tomatoes and cheese, add a bit of onion and herbs, and some mayo . . .

and you have a deliciously moreish summer pie!



*Country Tomato Pie*
Serves 4-6
Printable Recipe

This is a really tasty supper dish, just perfect for these summer days when the tomatoes are ripening on the vine fastet than we can get them used up! I also make this in the winter, but I use tinned tomatoes then. I use one tin of chopped tomatoes, and I drain them really well, and then, I squeeze as much moisture out of them as I can.

2 to 3 large tomatoes
1 small bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
1 TBS julliened fresh basil (roll several leaves into a cigar shape and cut crosswise)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 to 1 cup good quality mayonnaise (I like to use French Mayonnaise)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 partially baked 9 inch wide, deep pie shell



Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. If you are using fresh tomatoes, peel. This can be very easily done by cutting a small x with a sharp knife on the bottom. Dip into boiling water and leave for 30 to 40 seconds. Remove from the boiling water and plunge into ice water. The skin should now easily slip right off.

Slice the tomatoes into thick slices. Place them in layers into the pastry shell, sprinkling each layer with some spring onions, basil, salt and pepper. Mix together the mayonnaise and the cheese. Spread this mixture over top of the tomatoes. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until the filling is nicely browned.

Remove and allow to sit for 10 minutes before cutting into slices to serve. Delicious!

10 comments

  1. That's a lovely easy recipe Marie and looks really delicious.

    I do like your blog by the way - stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tomatoes are ripening and my basil is lovely. I know what I'll be having for dinner one night this week. Thanks for a yummy recipe. You're photos make me want to eat everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, you are going to make a foodie out of me yet. I have saved both of your recipes today to try one day. I really should just lick the screen as I just can't eat the good stuff too often or it sticks right to me like glue. I am never giving up on getting my weight under control but I sure want to when I come here to visit!

    Love you, Girl! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple, so good... Love this, Marie! Happy Day, sweet friend :o) LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy.yummy and soo yummy Marie, make me hungry!!! kisses,xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh now I'm loving this pie Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cor, that's a bit of all right!

    love, Ange, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe looks yummy and your blog looks so professional. Did you do it all yourself or have someone deign it for you? I love the banner and how you used so many different fonts. Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm! Looks calorically evil and delicious! I love the tag/menu chooser on your blog too. I always wonder who started putting these ingredients together too! I wonder about the first people being brave enough to try various herbs, plants, and meats not knowing if they would live through the tasting. Who were these original foodies?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. O.M.G. .... Marie, you are very, very talented dear, in ALL the things that you do...baking, cooking, graphic design, etc. Sending you and yours many blessings and please, please keep up the awesome work... you keep dazzling me each and every time I visit your blog{s} .. you are very inspiring. And I thank you for being YOU.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!