Cheese and Celery Whirls

Saturday 7 November 2009



Apium graveolens is a tasty plant commonly known as celery, or celeriac, depending which part of the plant is being eaten. We often eat the roots, or celeriac. We love it mashed with cream and herbs, it makes a fantastic gratin and as a soup, it's just lovely. (I make a mean Celeriac, Apple and Stilton soup that is to die for!)

The seeds are wonderful in salads. I always like to add a few to my coleslaw and they are fabulous in a vinaigrette dressing.

Dieters love celery, as it is relatively low in calories, being mostly water. It's when you add the cheese or the peanut butter topping that it ceases to be real diet food. I think because it is normally eaten by dieters that it gets a bit of a bad rap, not to mention it's also really hard to eat quietly.



I can't imagine making a soup or stew without adding at least a few chopped stalks. It adds a lovely flavour in my opinion. And a tuna fish or chicken salad sandwich just wouldn't be that good without chopped celery added in my opinion!



Today I'd like to show you a rather unique and unsual way of using it. These scone like whirls are quite, quite tasty . . .

It goes without saying that wrapping this crunchy vegetable in scone dough, rather takes away from it's fat busting qualities . . . but what the heck!



*Cheese and Celery Whirls*
Makes 10
Printable Recipe

Very pretty with a lovely green celery swirl in the centre. They make an excellent accompaniment to a soup meal and are wonderful as a tea-time savoury. Wonderfully light and very tasty!

340g self rising flour (2 1/3cup)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry English mustard powder
56g butter, softened (1/4 cup)
115g mature cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1 large free range egg, beaten
5 fluid ounces milk
3 to 4 stick of celery, trimmed and coarsely chopped




Pre-heat the oven to 220*C/425*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Whisk together the flour, salt and mustard powder in a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add most of the grated cheese, reserving a small amount for sprinkling on top before baking. Mix together the egg, milk and garlic and then stir this into the flour mixture, mixing in well until everything is well mixed together. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll out into a 12 by 9 inch rectangle. Scatter the celery over the surface. Roll up like a Swiss Roll, starting at the narrow end. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Place flat side down on the baking tray. Sprinkle each with some of the reserved cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and well risen. Remove from the oven and serve warm.

Note - I'm not sure why this happens but from time to time the flour doesn't seem to absorb as much of the liquid as it should. This could be down to the brand of flour used, the humidity etc. IN any case, only add as much of the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture as will give you the consistency of a soft dough. Sometimes you may need more of it than at other times.

12 comments

  1. How do you do it, Marie? Every single post I read of yours, I just drink in every word, drool over every picture, and immediately want to run into my kitchen and turn out each and every recipe you create! You're a kitchen fairy, I've decided--you're pure magic! Wish I could be in the kitchen with you and watch you create--and eat it, of course! Now, tomorrow (it's very late here now!) I will go to the store, buy some celery, and bake these delightful whirls...and the cauliflower ...and ......! Have a wonderful day, my kitchen friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel much like Julie, except that after every post I must summon up reserves of will power and resist making whatever you've posted about - otherwise I would be double my present weight...

    But these cheese and celery whirls are so surprising and intriguing that I think I have to try them, regardless of carbs or calories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just beautiful Marie! So when are you adopting me??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie I really love celery and these with cheese are absolutely tasty and nice!!! Love your recipes, xxxhugs gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie I've missed you. Everything you make is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think something must be wrong with me or the recipe, this became the consistancy of a cake batter, was it only 12oz of flour, was it really 5 oz of milk and one egg, as said I could never have patted this out.

    Its in the oven now but I added flour until I could pat it out, probably another 8 oz to do that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Margret. Thanks for your comment. I've checked my reciep again and the amounts are correct. I'm not sure why this happens from time to time. Sometimes flour absorbs more than at others. Perhaps it has something to do with the humidity. In any case if you make these again, and I would caution anyone who makes this, to only add the liquid ingredients until you get a soft dough. I'll amend the recipe to say just that. Many thanks, and I hope you liked them despite your concerns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just made these - had some celery to use up from the cauliflower chowder I made last week!
    The mixture was a bit wet, so I used a fair bit of flour on the table to dry it out when kneading...possibly a tad too much, but they turned out okay, if a little dry :)
    Thanks again for the recipe Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmm...not sure why this happens Zany! I did not have that problem at all, but again, I have to caution anyone that makes these to only add as much liquid as needed to make a soft dough. THis means adding half of it, stirring and then adding it a bit at a time after that. Hope you enjoyed them irregardless! I can see I need to add my North American measurements to this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favourite recipes from the National Trust Tea Time Book Marie Alice! I am just about to post a different version with puff pastry! I'll have a dozen please! :-) Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea Karen. I am a great fan of scone dough wraps and whirls. I do it a lot with a ton of variations and yes, puff pastry can be a great substitute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!