Lemon Scented Blueberry Swiss Roll

Monday 30 November 2009



There is no doubt in my mind that blueberries and lemons go together like . . . well, peas and carrots!!

I grew up in rural Nova Scotia, a very small province in Canada with a distinctly maritime climate . . . and ditches and fields just chock full of wild blueberries in late summer and early autumn. Wild blueberries were always something I had taken very much for granted when I was a child, and even as an adult . . .



Flicker
until I couldn't get them anymore. That is when we seem to miss things the most . . . when they are seemingly out of our reach.

It is my dream to visit home again one summer . . . when the corn is ripe for the picking and eating . . . and when the wild blueberries once again are deep purple and growing profusely in the brush along the bye ways and highways of my beautiful home province.



We do have cultivated berries here, and they are quite tasty . . . but nothing ever comes quite up to that beautiful taste of the wild berry, all that fruity flavour concentrated into a small juicy berry no larger than the tip of my baby finger . . . ahh . . . bliss.



We do get wild blueberry preserves over here though, and they are quite tasty in a pinch! I love them on my toast in the morning and spread onto fluffy buttermilk pancakes . . . all warm and stodgy good, with melted butter gilding and soaking into their lace like crisp edges.



Sometimes for a treat on a Sunday afternoon, I make us a lovely jelly roll, or Swiss roll as it is called over here in the UK . . . and I spread it through the middle with sweet and tasty wild blueberry preserves . . .



I like to eat it with my fingers, and while I eat . . . I dream of August days when the air is dry and hot . . . and filled with the sounds of humming insects . . .



of ice cream buckets filled to over flowing with wild blueberries . . . the smell of wild brush in the heat of the sun . . . fingers and teeth stained blue from our exertions . . . aching backs after hours spent hunched over in this glorious labour of love . . . and . . . well . . .

of home . . .



*Lemon Scented Blueberry Swiss Roll*
Makes one 12 inch roll
Printable Recipe

This swiss roll has to be one of the easiest and quickest cakes in the world! You can have the cake mixed together, baked and cooling on the countertop in less than 15 minutes!

For the cake:
3 large free range eggs
5 ounces caster sugar
2 TBS milk
the finely grated zest of one un-waxed lemon
5 ounces plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
a handful of slivered almonds
caster sugar for rolling
1/2 pint of blueberry preserves



Pre-heat the oven to 230*C/450*F. Line a swiss roll pan (8 by 12 inches) with greaseproof paper and set aside.

Break the eggs into a bowl and add the sugar. Beat together with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Add the milk and the lemon zest. Whisk together the flour and baking powder. Fold this into the egg mixture, making sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.

Bake for about 5 minutes in the centre of the oven. Cake is done when lightly browned and when it springs back when lightly touched.

Have a sheet of grease proof paper ready on which you have sprinkled more caster sugar. Remove the cake from the oven and turn out immediately onto the sugar coated paper. Carefully peel off the greaseproof from the baked cake. Roll up the cake in the caster sugar covered paper, from one long side towards the other, tucking in the first long side tightly. Set aside and allow to cool completely before proceeding.

Once the cake is cooled, unroll and spread with the blueberry preserves. Reroll. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices to serve.

hmmm . . . the thought just occurs to me that this would be lovely in a lemon trifle . . . stay tuned!!

11 comments

  1. Magic.
    Just perfect.
    I am dribbling a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, perfection! I love fresh blueberries, too--probably nothing like those in Nova Scotia, but...! I'm so glad we FINALLY planted a couple of bushes in our backyard this last spring!

    Can't wait to try this lovely Swiss Roll--my family will just adore it, I can already tell! Thanks for sharing so much edible joy with us, Marie--we love you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! This looks so much better than the store bought one. Especially because I love blueberries.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie, its me,, Laurie fron Ontario Canada.I felt sad for you talking of picking blueberries.We also pick them into icecream pails (must be an Canadian thing) and when I do next year I shall think of you.I wish I could send some.I know you're happy in England but I still know you're a little homesick so love and best wishes from Canada.Oh ya,,, and can you cook.!!You make my mouth water just looking at the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW~~just makes me drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks sooo good, Marie... mmm...love blueberry and lemon! I've often been intimidated by roll cakes, so embarrassed to admit I've never made one... LOL! This does look very easy though, and so tasty... Happy Week, dearest friend :o) LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, this blueberries roll look absolutely awesome and delicious!!!! lovely pictures.
    Sebd you huggssss and kisses, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another dessert I cannot wait to try of yours!!:) Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy do your photo's look goooooooooooood!Wild blueberries sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jus tried the receipe....hope it turns out good !

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok I'm hitting one of your old posts because you mentioned trifle. Do you have a good recipe for English Trifle? I lost touch with my aunt, and hers was the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!