Marie's Burger Delight

Saturday 21 November 2009



By heck!!! We've sure had a miserable week here in the UK weatherwise these past few days. All's there has been is rain, wind and . . . well . . . more rain. It's been cold and windy and downright horrible.



It's all a body can do to keep warm and dry . . . and comfortable. Where, just a few short weeks ago, we were complaining about the AGA being far too warm and wondering if we had turned it on too soon . . .

Our chattering teeth and cold damp tootsies now convince us that it was a wise move altogether . . . and we pat each other on the back in congratulations for having had so much forethought.



We are thankful though . . . Our little cottage is warm and dry, and it is not under eight feet of water . . . our hearts, prayers and thoughts go out to those whose homes are . . .



These are comfort food days . . . *stick to your ribs* food days . . .



Home . . . warmth . . . comfort . . . food . . . love. Funny how all those words make your toes curl with pleasure, and your heart feel all warm inside.

Is love . . . food for the soul . . . or is food . . . love for the soul . . .

You decide.



*Marie's Burger Delight*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Yes, this is an unusual list of ingredients, but trust me when I tell you that this is fabulously delicious. Everyone loves this. You will too.

2 TBS sunflower oil
750g of extra lean minced beef
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 OXO beef cube
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
salt and black pepper to taste
418g tin of creamed corn
295g tin of condensed tomato soup
1/2 jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce
300g spaghetti noodles, broken in to bits (I'll tell you how to do
this easily and quickly)
200g of grated strong cheddar cheese, or an Italian cheese mix

Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet. Add the beef, onion, garlic, crumbled oxo cube and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook, and stir until the meat is nicely browned and the vegetables are softened. Stir in the corn, tomato soup and the spaghetti sauce. Mix together well, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Take your spaghetti out of the packet and roll it up in a clean tea towel, like a salami. Holding tightly onto both ends of the roll run it down the edge of the countertop from top to bottom several times. This will break your spaghetti into 1 to 2 inch bits. Drop these into the boiling water. Cook until al dente, according to your package directions. Drain well and then stir the cooked spaghetti into the meat mixture.

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F.

Stir half of the cheese into the spaghetti mixture. Lightly grease a 3.5 litre casserole dish. Pour the spaghetti mixture into this and then cover with the remaining cheese. Cover with a lid and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until nicely browned on top. Remove from the oven and serve.

10 comments

  1. This looks fabulous, comforting and warm! I just finished dinner, and this still looks yummy! Wonderful tip on breaking up the pasta--thanks!

    Wish we could get some rain here--they keep saying it's coming, but nothing...we need it! Sorry it's so blustery for you, though! At least those lucky enough to be near you can be warmed with your warm and loving cooking! Hope you're having a wonderful day, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This good good enough for breakfast dinner and tea! Gaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice lot of ingredients Marie - looks delish and yes this is the kind of food we need right now. Another wet and windy day here in Telford - and cold too. Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this a couple of hours ago Marie, hopped (literally!!) down to the village, bought the ingredients & it's in the oven now bubbling away! If it tastes as good as it smells, MOTH & I are in for real Saturday night treat.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make a dish with the same ingredients but with macaroni, not spaghetti, so the photo was all it took to remind me I haven't made it in awhile! I can smell it already - yum!

    Sorry about all the bad weather. Hope this is the last of it and won't be followed by record amounts of snow later. Enough is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the photo makes this look delicious. I admit the ingredients have some items that made me wonder, but I have loved every one of the recipes of yours that I have tried to date, so I think I will have to try this. It is only 8:30 am and you have me hungry for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is almost converting me back to eating meat, Marie! I just showed hubby and he's in heaven...wants a plate of this now--LOL! This is such comfort food. And it's been raining, foggy and gray for weeks here..We need comfort food even more now! Thank you for all the inspiring recipes each week. :o) LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my little boys would like this..I hope your weather gets much better..Marie..is that your kitchen... It is CHARMING.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooooooooooo how you're making me wish I ate red meat!!! This looks like just the kind of food I'm craving for right now. This weather is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This look wonderful Marie, sorry your rainy time, but England is so at this time, but let me tell you we are in spring but is a crazy sprincg some days hots! and others cloudy with rain or winds, so special.
    Send you hugssss and kisses and have a nice weekend with Todd, xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!