Spicy Parsnip and Leek Soup

Saturday 14 November 2009



It's just bucketing it down today. I don't think I've seen it rain so hard in a long time. When I walked home from the big house for my dinner break today, I was completely soaked through by the time I got to our cottage . . .



The wind was blowing so hard the rain was drifting horizontally . . .



Desperate weather, calls for desperate measures . . .



Yes . . . this is a soup day.



Soup, the perfect food for a wet and dismal day when you are chilled right through to the bone.
Nothing warms you up better, don't you think?



*Spicy Parsnip and Leek Soup*
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

This soup is sweet and spicy. Adding toasted cumin and black onion seed at the end gives it a delicious twist!

2 TBS butter
1 large spanish onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 cups chicken stock
2 medium leeks, the white and light green parts, trimmed, washed and sliced into 1/2 inch thick thick coins
750g bag of parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick coins
750g of floury potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 TBS olive oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black onion seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until softened and lightly browned. Add the leeks, parsnips and potatoes. Cook and stir to coat with the butter. Cook, and sweat for 10 to 15 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the chicken stock, tumeric and cayenne pepper. Season to taset with some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until very soft. Using a stick blender, puree the soup, then pass through a sieve if desired. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.

Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the cumin, onion and mustard seeds. Cook and stir in the oil until the seeds begin to pop. Carefully stir the hot oil/seed mixture into the soup. Taste and add more cayenne if desired. Serve hot.

10 comments

  1. I was just hoping I'd see something comforting and delicious from you before I shut down for the night! This looks simply divine, Marie! Perfect for a rainy, cold day! Hope tomorrow's not quite so dismal for you--stay dry, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, this soup look absolutely delicious and I adore the breads you put into, are so cuteeee.
    I hope you feel good dear.
    Have a nice day and huggs and kisses, have a lovely weekend, xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby would love this. Will definitely have to make it for him. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny. I just made this soup this past week. It is a great soup. I tinkered a bit with mine a bit as I didn't have the black mustard seeds which meant I also didn't add the additional oil. As an afterthought I thought a hot curry blend would have worked for the spicing part just as well and to start light on the cayenne and adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this time of year when soups are so warm and comforting. This soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this elegant soup, Marie... such nice combination of flavors and spices! Happy weekend, my friend--LOVE YA :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, you take such lovely photos, this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, definitely a day for soup. Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are the Black Onion seeds you suggest, Nigella seeds? And can I use brown mustard seeds instead of the black?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are Caroline. You could also use Cumin seeds because the have a similar peppery nutty flavour. You can use brown mustard seeds, but you will have to use slightly more to get the same pungency. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!