Bombay Potatoes

Wednesday 17 February 2010



No secret here, the potato is my favourite vegetable. Always has been, always will be.




I've tried low-carbing it in the past . . . the potato has always been my downfall. I just can't go very long without a potato . . . period . . . end of statement.




You can take away my chocolate. You can take away sweets . . . but don't take away my potato. To do so is risking my eventual wrath! Imagine my joy at discovering Bombay Potatoes!!

Yes, a potato curry!



Delicious and spicy with a bit of heat that you can control by either increasing or lessening the amount of chili powder you use.

mmm . . . mmm . . . good. I could eat a whole plate of these and nothing else . . . seriously. Thank you India!



*Bombay Potatoes*
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

A delicious accompaniment to any curry, meatwise or vegetarian. It's also a great way to use leftover cooked boiled potatoes. Very easy and very tasty!

3 TBS sunflower oil
1 tsp mustard seed
1 pinch ground cumin
1 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp freshly ground garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1 knob of fresh ginger root, peel and finely grate
6 potatoes, peeled, parboiled and cut into cubes
4 knobs of butter
4 tomatoes, cored and diced
a handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it shimmers. Add the mustard sed, cumin, tumeric, ground coriander, garam masala and chili powder. Cook and stir until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Stir in the ginger root, potatoes, and butter. Stir to coat the potatoes in all the spices. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Cook until they begin to wilt, then stir in the coriander and serve.

16 comments

  1. Oh, yum! I'm quite the potato girl myself! These look amazing, Marie! Hope you're having a fabulous day, as mine is winding down--getting ready to watch another night of American Idol with the family...wonder what we're in store for tonight?!

    Much love sent to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spices here are delicious. It is hard to beat those curry flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have an Irish husband and there is NO meal for him without potatoes! Your pics are wonderful- everything looks mouthwatering. I will definitely try these
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm looks yummy. i love potatoes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW--LOVE these potatoes, Marie! I enjoy anything remotely Indian-flavored-inspired. I must make these--and soon...LOL! Happy day, dear friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's recipes like this that show how carbs are just MEANT to be in our diets! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter will get this one..she will love these..me too I bet~

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like something we would love. My hubby has been using a lot more spices in our foods...a nice variety and we love potatoes. I can make a meal on a big baked potato! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I KNOW...I love all manner of fine food, but I absolutely must have potatoes. I LOVE them, never get tired of them and could eat them every single day.

    Delish recipe :)
    hugs
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can happily live without potato in the plain boiled sense BUT doing something delish with it turns it into a differnt creature and you can then keep the meat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too. I just love potatoes, and this recipe looks, as you would say, 'scrummy.' LOL Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How good do your photos look!!! I have to taste this now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, I tried to give up carbs too, but found I was starving all the time. Your potato recipe looks really tasty and warm for this cold time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks lovely - I love Bombay potatoes - I love potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! I'm making this tomorrow-- I haven't felt like eating meat lately, and this is perfect-- savory and filling but no meat!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great recipe. Tastes just like how I remember them back in the U.K. I was out of tomatoes so I omitted them from the recipe and it was still delicious.

    Also, this recipe is great when you add peas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!