Cauliflower Gratin with a Horseradish Crust

Tuesday 23 February 2010



We just love cauliflower in this house. It's not something that I ever had as a child, but I am quite sure that I would have loved it . . . even then. I can make a meal of it. It's so very versatile.



It's fantastic curried, or made into creamy rich soup. Tasty roasted, and also fried. It makes a good substitute for potatoes when mashed or grated. (for all you low carbers out there!)



It's lovely raw, served up with a delicious aioli to dip it in . . . swooping large chunks down into all that garlicky goodness . . . mmmm . . . what a tasty mouthful. Or even chopped and added raw to salads. It gives them the most wonderful texture and crunch!




One of our favourite ways to eat it though . . . has to be cauliflower cheese. That beautiful crispy tender cooked cauliflower, laying all tastily beneath a rich blanket of cheese sauce and buttery crumbs. Here's where I could make a real pig of myself and eat the whole thing on my own . . . but I'm not that greedy, I do let Todd have some as well . . . sigh . . .



This is a very tasty upscale version of cauliflower cheese. The sauce is rich and tangy . . . and just loaded with strong cheddar cheese and chopped spring onions. The crumbs on top is where the big difference comes in.



Yes . . . they are buttery, but . . . they are also really flavourful, with the added tangy surprise of some creamed horseradish.



You are gonna love this. I promise!




*Cauliflower Gratin with A Horseradish Crust*

Serves 8
Printable Recipe

An upscale version of cauliflower cheese with a delicious crunchy crumb topping, all buttery and filled with the slight heat of horseradish. Delicious!

1 large head of cauliflower, about 3 pounds in weight
Trim and break into florets
4 TBS butter, divided
2 TBS plain flour
12 ounces milk
6 ounces strong cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
4 spring onions, the green parts only, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
10 Italian crackers, coarsely crumbled
2 TBS creamed horseradish

Preheat the oven to 205*C/425*F. Butter a shallow gratin dish. Set aside.

Place the cauliflower florets into a saucepan of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until just tender. Drain well and then place into the prepared gratin dish.

Melt 2 TBS of the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking for several minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk. Cook, whisking, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, for 8 minutes. Whisk in the cheese, spring onions, salt and pepper, whisking until the cheese is completely melted.

Melt the remaining 2 TBS of butter. Whisk in the horseradish sauce. Crumble the crackers into a bowl. Pour the butter/horseradish mixture over top and toss together.

Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the cauliflower florets in the gratin dish. Top with the crumb mixture. Bake in the heated oven for about 10 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.

Serve warm.

11 comments

  1. I love it already! This looks absolutely delectable! Nothing better than creamy, cheesy cauliflower! You think up the most wonderful things, Marie!

    Hope you're having a lovely day--very spring-like here today...really enjoyed it! My husband even mowed the grass when he got home from work--hasn't done that for months!

    Lots & lots of love sent over the ocean to my friend Marie tonight...see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I love dishes with a crusty top like this.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Such a good twist on the usual cauliflower cheese. Must remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo Yum! I must give this a go. Isn't it just wonderful all the delicious things that can be done with cauliflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, this is one of my favorite side dishes-I, too, can make a meal here. I have 2 cauliflowers that must be cooked today. Hmmmm.....
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the touch/heat of horseradish here, Marie... it really jazzes up this wonderful, classic dish! I've not made cauliflower in a while... Happy Week, my friend--LOVE YA :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to try this. My family won't eat cauliflower WITHOUT cheese sauce, but your recipe brings it up a notch or four. A winner again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! But what are Italian crackers, please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa, Italian crackers are a type of soda cracker. You could use any cracker that is not highly flavoured. Cream crackers would also work, or in North America, 20 Saltine crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What can I say! Wonderful cauli cheese - a staple in our house. I sometimes don't cook the cauli at all, just cut it in smaller florets and it will cook in the sauce in the oven.

    What I can't seem to do is take fab photos of it like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG horseradish is my favourite thing, never thought of adding it to a crust though. I served cauliflower cheese as part of our Christmas dinner for the first time (first time for C dinner, not first time I made it lol!) this year and it was a huge success

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!