Dreamy Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Wednesday 3 February 2010



One of my favourite ingredients to bake with is ripe bananas. The riper the better. I like them best when the skins are almost black. Just perfect for baking with. Oh, I do love me some banana chocolate chip cookies, banana tea bread, banana muffins, banana cake . . .



One of Todd's favourite things to eat is bananas. He usually eats them all up before I can do anything with them. Most annoying . . .



This week I managed to squirrel some away where he couldn't see them and I let them get . . . ripe, ripe, ripe . . .



I wanted to make a delicious banana cake. Rich and moist, and just chock full of banana flecks and flavour . . .

With a lucious cream cheese icing.



This banana cake is the epitome of the word M-O-R-E-I-S-H!!!



Ohh, but it is dangerous to have around. Anyone care to come over and help us eat it up???



*Dreamy Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting*
Serves 8 to 10
Printable Recipe

A deliciously moist and rich banana cake, topped with a lucious cream cheese frosting. It is best to store this in the refrigerator because of the frosting, but don't worry, because there is oil used in the cake batter instead of butter the cake stays moist and tender, even when served cold from the fridge.

For the Cake:
2 large very ripe bananas, peeled and lightly mashed
(8 ounces)
4 ounces of creme fraiche
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp loosely packed finely grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 ounces of light brown muscovado sugar (in America use Turbinado, or even just ordinary brown sugar)
4 ounces of safflower oil
170g of plain flour
30g of cornflour
(alternately use 200g of cake flour)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

For the icing:
6 ounces full fat soft cheese
(like Philadelphia)
2 ounces unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
400g of icing sugar, sifted

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Butter a 9 inch round deep cake tin. Line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper and butter the paper. Dust with flour, shaking out any excess. Set aside.

Place the bananas, sugar and creme fraiche into a food processor and blitz for a few seconds until smooth. Stop and scrape down the sides. Gradually add the oil with the motor running, until it is thorougly incorporated. Add the eggs, lemon zest and vanilla. Process again for about 10 seconds.

Whisk together the flour, soda, baking powder, cornflour and salt.

Pour the wet mixture into a large bowl. Sift in the flour mixture and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for several minutes until thoroughly incorporated. Scrape into the prepared baking pan, smoothing the top.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and then flip over and cool completely top side up.

To make the frosting, beat all the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Spread this frosting to cover the top and sides of the banana cake. Store in the refrigerator.

13 comments

  1. Oh, that is comfort food dessert-style, Marie... Thank you! :o) LOVE YA, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love banana cake, muffins, bread -- and anything with cream cheese frosting!

    This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie: this look absolutely amazing and nice!!! Dear take care. Huggsss and kisessss, xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just left you a huge comment here & my computer started behaving badly....suffice it to say...this looks simply scrumptious! I LOVE banana cake--and this looks like the best I've seen! Get better, dear friend--much love and healthy wishes sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really does sound scrumptious! I love bananas but I'm not sure I've ever made a cake with them! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me! Me! Me! :o) I love banana cake, especially the walnut-free kind :o) I have a pretty good standby banana bar recipe (which won a blue ribbon) but this one looks good too. I love that yours has creme fraiche in it. Will have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking for a good banana cake, and I think I've found it! This looks so very good. Thank you for this delicious share. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Consider this one book marked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bookmarked in Norway too :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. when do i add the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    Just tried to make your banana cake. I followed all the steps scrupulously until I got to the part where it says to scrape the mixture into the cake tins.
    Then I suddenly realised that there had been no sugar added to the mixture. Went back over all the steps but could not see when it was supposed to be added. I just had to put it in right at the end. The mixture looked much wetter and smoother than the banana cake mixtures that I have made in the past. I really hope it works out as I have put in double the ingredients so I could make two cakes. To waste all that good food. 
    Maybe you should go back at the recipe and make sure you tell people went to put the sugar in.
    Anyway cheers 
    Anxious cake baker 

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOps, thanks for noting that omission Foldrs. I have fixed it now. I do so hope it worked out for you. I've never doubled the recipe. I hope that worked for you too! I realize I didn't respond to the comment before yours. I was in Canada at my daughter's wedding at that time and I never saw the comment!! Good excuse I hope. (I didn't have internet over there!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!