Spanish Omelette With Olives

Friday 12 February 2010



What can you do when you get home from work, and you are absolutely starving . . . you've had a long day . . . and the last thing you want to do is spend another couple of hours on your feet cooking ????

You want something tasty . . . and you want it NOW!



A Spanish Omelette is the answer. It uses really simple ingredients, and is quick and easy to do. If you have potatoes, onions and eggs, you have all you need to make a basic Spanish Omelette.



I have jazzed it up a bit by adding some sliced black olives here, and of course some chopped parsley. But you could also add some cooked and crumbled sausage if you were wanting something meatier, or some lightly sauteed sliced chorizo . . . bits of ham and cheese are good too.



Simple, tasty, filling and scrumdiddlyumptious!!! We like to have salad on the side with ours.

Ok, ok . . . "I" like to have salad on the side . . . Todd kinda, sorta "tolerates" salad on the side . . . meh . . . what does he know??? Everything he ate came out of a tin can before we met.



The nice thing about this is, the leftovers are really tasty for lunch the next day, and to take on picnics . . . not that we are doing a lot of picnicking just at the moment . . . but . . . you know, spring is just around the corner!



*Spanish Omelette With Olives*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Tasty, tasty, tasty. Easy too!

Extra virgin olive oil
500g medium waxy potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
150ml water
3 medium onions, peeled, halved and sliced thinly into half moons
6 medium free range eggs
3 TBS coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
125g pitted black olives, halved

Heat 2 TBS of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the potato slices and cook, then for about 5 minutes or so, turning them now and again, until they are completely coated with the oil. Season with some salt and then add the water. Cover with a tightly fitted lid and turn the heat to low. Cook, covered for 10 to 15 minutes, giving them a bit of a stir halfway through the cooking time. Drain well, when tender. ( A knife will pierce them quite easily) Set aside in the pan, covered, until ready to use.

Heat another couple of tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook gently for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and silky. Stir frequently. Season and then spoon into a bowl. Set aside to cool.

Whisk the eggs with some seasonings in a bowl. Stir in the parsley and the sliced olives. Fold in the onions and potatoes.

Preheat the grill to high. Heat a 10 inch frying pan with a heatproof handle over medium heat. Add 1 TBS of oil. Once it is heated, tip in the egg and potato mixture. Level the surface and then cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until beginning to set. Drizzle with another tablespoon of oil and then place under the grill for 4 to 8 minutes until golden brown. There should still be a slight jiggle in the centre if you are eating it hot. It will firm up as it cools.

11 comments

  1. Yummy! Another delightful recipe for comfort food--my favorite! I'll have to try this one this weekend--I love omelets for dinner. I sure hope Todd knows how good he has it now! (I'm quite sure that he does!) Love you loads, dear friend! I'm off to bed.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Italians LOVE our frittatas! I can't wait to try your version. You make everything look so tempting!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, I've not made one of these before, can you believe?! Very strange, as they are sooo good! And your recipe here Marie the best I've seen. Gotta make this one for my hubby! ;o) Happy Valentine Weekend, dear friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum Marie, hope you and your Todd have a lovely Valentine's weekend. with love Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible for that to taste as good as it looks?! I will be trying this recipe for sure! I love eggs at any meal! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I printed out the recipe and was thinking about making it but I'm not sure what you mean by a grill. Could I put the heatproof pan in the oven and turn the broiler on to cook it and brown it on top? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly Lavender Dreamer. A grill is another name for broiler. Sorry for any confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank Marie! This sounds so good...and looks amazing! I know I would love it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. that my friend looks wonderful!!!! Gonna make it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just the one word for you today ... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend in Zaragosa first introduced me to the Spanish Omlette and, as you rightly say, it is delicious. The only thing I have against it is the amount of washing up it makes. And, you know, Cristina and her sister Bel (Zaragosa friends) always washed up in COLD water. Yeuck!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!