Corn and Bean Salad

Thursday 5 August 2010



A week or so ago, Julie contacted me and asked if I would like to try out some Fage Total Greek Yogurt, (Fage, pronounced Fa - ye) I jumped at the chance. Not only is is my favourite kind of yogurt, but it is something that I use all the time!

I have been a yogurt fan ever since my school days in the 1970's. Not only did I take one in my little brown bag for lunch every day, but I think I must surely be the person who invented frozen yogurt, as I always had several little tubs in my mom's freezer, just waiting for me to dig in. Yes . . . I was way ahead of my time!



Anyways, today an Ocado Delivery truck drove up to my door and Todd said . . . "What did you order now?"

"Nothing!" I squealed with delight! "It's my free yogurt from Julie!"



Now for some facts: TOTAL Greek yogurt was first imported into the UK in the 1980's and has grown to become the nation's leading brand of Greek Yogurt. This lovely yogurt is made with cow's milk and a live active yogurt culture. The traditional straining method removes the whey of the nilk and any excess water, which is what gives TOTAL it's distinctive thick texture and mild natural flavour. It actually takes 2 litres of milk to make just one 500g pot! Not only is it incredibly thick and ric, but it's 100% preservative and additive free and contains no artificial sweeteners, thickeners or added sugars. From where I am standing that seems like a really good thing. I don't want to put a whole lot of artificial junk into my body if I can help it!



Straining the yogurt during it's production means that this yogurt can be heated without it splitting, which makes it incredibly versatile. (They do not recommend however that you heat the 0% yogurt.) I just know that it is delicious. I have some just about every morning, spooned out on top of my homemade granola and drizzled with a bit of honey. It's truly the breakfast of champions! I also love it spooned on top of fruit and puddings. It's much lower in fat than regular cream or creme fraiche.

To make a long story short, I have a fridge full of yogurt to use up now and you will be seeing a few ways that I am going to do just that over the next week or so.



Here is what I did with it today. A delicious, tangy and crunchy salad! Chock full of good things like beans and tomatoes, chickpeas and corn, with a tangy and spicy yogurt dressing. I felt positively self righteously healthy when I was eating it! (For more information about Total Green Yogurt, feel free to visit the Total Page. There's lots of goodies and facts there!)



*Corn and Bean Salad*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Beautiful and colourful, this is one very tasty, and healthy salad! Try it out at your next barbeque!

For the dressing:
the juice of 3 limes
170g tub of Greek Yoghurt
(about 1 cup)
2 ounces olive oil (1/4 cup)
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
a large handful of fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro)

For the salad:
1 (415g or 15 ounce) tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
1 (415g or 15 ounce) tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, uncooked (can use one tin of niblets corn, drained)
1 medium courgette, washed, trimmed and cut into small cubes
1 red bell pepper, trimmed and cut into small cubes
4 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into cubes
6 spring onionss, thinly sliced




Make the dressing by whisking together the lime juice, yoghurt, olive oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper. Fold in the chopped coriander.

In a large salad bowl, combine the beans, corn, chickpeas, red pepper, courgettes and spring onions. Pour the yoghurt lime dressing over top and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature.

Know what I am having for my bedtime snack tonight? That's right a nice little pot of yoghurt with some honey on top. Yummo!

9 comments

  1. I use Greek style yogurt a lot, too. Very delicious. I have only tried it in a cucumber salad. Thanks for the new recipe idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor. Ellerinize,emeğinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing! They've just introduced Greek and Balkan yogurts to Israel and the supermarkets are full of summer job teens offering tiny little spoons of the stuff so everyone can taste, decide and buy. I've only know Greek yogurt from British cooking shows, so I was glad to jump at the chance to try it out. Your salad looks perfect to try out, now... if only we could get limes....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a recipe I will be keeping, I love greek yogurt and always have a tub on the go. My breakfast favourite too:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful Marie! A definate for our next family get-together at the end of this month, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful, summery salad, Marie--love this! And I love Greek Yogurt...it's my preference of yogurts, but not always easy to get where we are living now. But "regular" plain yogurt does OK, and I eat that every morning and cook with it too--draining it off in a coffee filter to release excess moisture to it becomes a bit thicker. Great inspiration today, my friend--thanks! :o) Happy Day--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing Marie! I've a tub of Greek yogurt in the refrigerator next to my leftover corn on the cob and a can of beans in the cupboard. Dinner for tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always add corn to my Bean Salad. I have heard so much abour Greek Yogurt, but never tried it; will look out for it now.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt and this salad sounded really interesting, so I made it up today. We also love chickpeas and cannellini be ans, so it was ideal. We are eating as much summery food as we can, because the short but intense summer is ending soon and we will be heading back to the darkness again.

    Anyway, I thought the dressing was really tasty - the line in it really shines and the choice of vegetables was also excellent. I've eaten quite a few different bean salads over the years and this one is right up there with the best - easy to make and very tasty to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!