Rhubarb and Ginger Wine Crumble

Monday 30 August 2010



I saw a recipe the other day for a Gooseberry and Ginger Wine Crumble. I thought to myself, that sounds rather good . . . scrummy even . . .

I didn't have any gooseberries though . . . nor could I find any, neither fresh nor frozen . . .



What I do have though, is a very healthy and very large and very productive rhubarb patch!!



The whole time we lived down in Kent at Oak Cottage, I could never get my rhubarb to grow and amount to much of anything. Here in Chester, on the outskirts of a city . . . my rhubarb is growing happily quite madly and profusely!!!

So, anyways, I thought to myself that rhubarb and ginger wine would probably go very well together, maybe even better than gooseberries and ginger wine. Rhubarb makes a lovely crumble, the best of all the crumbles in my opinion.




So what you have here today is a delicious recipe taken from another one of those balls that I grabbed and decided to run with.


The ginger wine idea from one recipe . . . added to my own rhubarb and my own crumble topping recipe that I added a teaspoon of ground ginger to this time . . . in order to further enhance the ginger flavours, of course!



I scored a winning goal with this one! I ended up with a moreishly scrumptious dessert filled with lovely flavours . . .

A sweet yet tart fruit filling, with just the merest whisper of ginger, topped with a buttery crunch filled with the goodness of oats and butter and again a mere whisper of ginger.



All in all this is my favourite crumble ever!



Don't forget the cream or lashings of custard! They are a given!!!




*Rhubarb and Ginger Wine Crumble*
Serves 4 to 6 (depending on how greedy you are)
Printable Recipe

A delicious crumble. The Ginger Wine really helps to bring out the flavour of the rhubarb. Lashings of custard or clotted cream are a must!

1 pound of rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into
1 inch slices (about 10 to 12 stalks)
200g of caster sugar
3 TBS ginger wine

For the crumble topping:
150g (1 cup) plain flour
3 TBS old fashioned porridge oats
1 tsp of ground ginger
125g pf butter, chilled and cut into cubes
pinch salt
3 TBS caster sugar
4 TBS soft light brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a medium sized baking or pie dish. Set aside.

Place the rhubarb into a bowl and toss together with the sugar and gingerwine. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.

Whisk together the flour, ginger and oats in a bowl Rub in the butter with your fingertips until you have a lumpy, buttery mixture. Stir in the sugars and the salt with a fork. Drop the crumble topping evenly over top of the fruit.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the fruit is bubbling through and the topping is crisp and golden. Delicious!

13 comments

  1. Oh, this is lovely... It's only just past breakfast time, but I could eat a bowlful of this now... LOL! Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very interesting and would love to make it. I wonder where you buy ginger wine.

    Regards,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite type of dessert! I would LOVE it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby is going to LOVE this recipe. The rhubarb in my Aunt and Uncles backyard in Chester grew just the same as yours. Unfortunately rhubarb has been very hard for me to come by this year ;0(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look really yummy dear Marie, send you hugga ans kisses and have a really happy day with Mitzie and Todd! huggs gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patricia, here in the UK you can buy Ginger Wine in the alcohol section of any large grocery shop. It is a fortified wine made from a fermented blend of ground ginger and raisins. The most popular one over here is Stone's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh please send some over here, it looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely ! Me mum used to make fresh strawberry and rubarb crumbly as well as pie, we liked having it warmed with condenced milk poured on it , mmmmm yummy . I love your recipes, alot of them remind me of my mums baking on the farm ! sorry about the deleted posts my puter went all wonky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie,
    thank you for that scrummy recipe, it looks absolutely yummy. My husband loves rhubarb and I love ginger wine and so this is the perfect dessert for us. I will be trying it this weekend.
    Patricia you can get ginger wine from supermarkets in the UK, or buy online where it tends to be cheaper. Try http://www.gingerwine.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love rhubarb and wanted to use some up for a dessert and this one spoke to me. I've always loved ginger in a crumble topping, but had not thought to use Ginger wine in the filling. What a clever idea - I always know that I'll learn something new here.

    We loved this - piping hot from the oven. I had warm custard with mine and L-G had vanilla icecream (because he's weird and likes mixing hot and cold desserts). The touch of ginger in both the topping and filling was perfect - it was so delicious and now my favourite way to do a crumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am going to miss gingerwine over here Marie. Oh well, you can't have it all. I am happy that you enjoyed this. I am like LG. I like to mix hot and cold as well! I think rhubarb crumble is one of my favourite desserts! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!