Rhubarb Custard Dessert

Sunday 8 August 2010



I apologize ahead of time for the quality of my photos today. It's been very gloomy and rainy and the light has been just horrible. The only place I could get good pictures at all was on my kitchen counter top, next to the sink!



We've been painting in our lounge all day, pretty much. We set up to paint and I realized that Todd hadn't gotten any masking tape or disposable vinyl gloves. *tsk *tsk As annoying as it was, I asked him to pop down to B&Q to get some. There is no way we could have done a proper job without the proper tools. (Or is that just me being pedantic???)



Anyways, masking tape in place and white base coat on, I decided that the colour we had picked for the overcoat was far too light. I wanted something much darker, so . . . you guessed it. We ended up back down at the B&Q picking out a darker colour. (About this time I think I was veering very close to experiencing death . . . ahem . . . thankfully Todd's a very patient man.)



Anyways, we did finally get it all painted and it looks lovely. Nobody killed anyone, and there was only slight irritation on Todd's part. I more than made up for it though, by baking him one of his favourite desserts for afters.



With all the rain we've been having the rhubarb in my garden is growing like a weed! A very delicious weed!! Rhubarb and Custard together is one of our favourite desserts, and it becomes even more so, when I dress it up with a crisp and buttery cookie crust on the bottom and a sweet meringue, all golden on the top.



He was more than forgiving of my picky ways when I sat this down in front of him . . . but . . . I don't think he'll be volunteering to paint anything with my help anytime soon . . . ☺




*Rhubarb Custard Dessert*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

This lovely dessert combines two old favourites, rhubarb and custard, in one scrumptious dessert. With it's buttery cookie crust and sweet meringue topping, this is delectable.

For the crust:
280g of plain flour (2 cups)
4 ounces butter, softened (1/2cup)
2 TBS caster sugar

For the filling:
400g of caster sugar (2 cups)
225ml whipping cream (1 cup)
35g of flour (1/4 cup)
6 large free range egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
2 pounds chopped fresh rhubarb (about 5 cups)

For the Meringue Topping:
6 large free range egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
150g of caster sugar (3/4 cup)

Preheat the oven to 189*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter an 9 by 13 inch, deep baking pan. Set aside.

Whisk the flour for the crust together with the sugar. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Tip into the baking pan and press onto the bottom evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.

Mean while combine all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl, with the exception of the rhubarb. Beat well at medium speed until smooth. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour the rhubarb mixture over the hot partially baked crust. Return to the oven and cook for a further 45 to 55 minutes, until the filling is firm to the touch. Increase the oven temperature to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.

Whip the egg whites at high speed until foamy. Add the salt and vanilla. Continue to beat, adding the sugar slowly, until the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks. Spread over the hot filling, sealing right to the edges. Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 mnutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool completely before serving.

Cut into slices with a sharp wet knife to serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

Note - This dessert can be very successfully halved. Keep all timings the same.

11 comments

  1. Yum! Looks like a ruhbarb meringue pie only made even better with custard - wow send a slice my way

    ReplyDelete
  2. rhubarb, what a beautiful sounding word. Never used it but there are stores where it is sold. This dessert looks so creamy and light! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wish I had a garden to grow rhubarb in! It seems to have vanished from the shops in thelast few weeks! Great looking dessert, I'm sure Todd would forgive most things when offered a bowl of this :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love rhubarb and that dessert looks really good Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maravilloso!! aqui también llueve y mi ruibarbo lo agradece también. Me he enamorado de tu postre, pideme ayuda la proxima vez que quieras pintar!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Çok farklı ve leziz bir tarif ellerinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, I will definitely have to save this for when we have rhubarb back in the markets- it's gone for now. Lovely!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is a pretty dessert, Marie.. LOVE that meringue topping! We have more rhubarb in growth again! Happy Weekend, dear friend... LOVE YOU HEAPS :o) ((BIGS HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another amazing-looking dessert, dear friend! Makes me think of my dad, who loves rhubarb-centered desserts...I'll have to make this for him next time we're together!

    I hope you're having a beautiful Sunday...sorry it's so rainy, though...Much love and warm hugs sent your way today, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my I love rhubarb,,I used to make rhubarb coffee cake all the time,,and of course I would be the only one eating it since no one else likes rhubarb,,your cake looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhubarb has become very trendy Down Under Marie -I can blame the huge success of MasterChef on telly for this. The price is outrageous, AUD10.00 for a bunch of 5 average stalks. MOTH wants to plant some in the vegie patch, but just finding the crowns is proving to be impossible. Your recipe looks yummy, just wish I could afford the raw ingredients!!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!