Scarborough Fair Egg and Chips

Wednesday 25 August 2010



Sometimes you want something for supper that is totally unpretentious, delicious and simple to make . . . made from simple, fresh ingredients . . .



Things that you have in your larder and fridge all the time.



Things like potatoes and eggs.



If you have potatoes and eggs . . . you got a meal.



Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Are you going to Scarborough Fair?



I did . . . and it was delicious.



It went down a real treat with a slice of buttered bread on the side, and a dab of ketchup.



Herby baked oven chips . . . with the skins on and coverd with little crunchy bits. Runny yolked oven fried eggs . . . broken open and running all over the potatoes . . . rich and scrummy . . . go on . . . dip your bread in. You know you want to.

Totally Todd approved.

Breakfast for dinner. Works for me!



*Scarborough Fair Egg and Chips*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. Delicious, quick and oh so easy. Healthy too, coz it's baked in the oven.

1 pound floury potatoes (Maris Piper, King Edward)
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 large free range eggs

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ Gas mark 7. Wash the potatoes and dry. Do not peel. Cut into thick chips. Tip into a nonstick roasting tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and herbs. Toss together with your fingers making sure that they are evenly coated.

Bang the tray into the oven and roast for about 40 minutes until cooked through and golden brown, giving them a shake and a flip every ten minutes or so. Create two gaps in the middle of them, pushing them aside with a spatula. Break the two eggs into the gaps. Return to the oven and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes or until the eggs are as cooked as you like. Season the eggs to taste. Divide between two heated plates and serve hot with buttered bread and ketchup for dipping if desired!

16 comments

  1. Hayırlı sabahlar. Ellerinize sağlık. Çok güzel ve leziz görünüyor.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM! I could eat that now! I missed breakfast, but lunch is soon... maybe eggs! Happy Day, dear Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie!
    Wish I'd seen this
    before popping to the
    store, yesterday. One
    night this week it is
    going to be eggs
    scrambled with smoke
    salmon, dill and cream
    cheese, with potato hash
    on the side....Sort of on
    the same wavelength as this
    lovely recipe, which I'll
    try next week! We are just
    starting to get local apples
    and I can't wait to try your
    last recipe, as well. Keep
    up all of your wonderful
    cooking! Hope you are enjoying
    the end of the summer; wonder
    how the weather is in your part
    of the world??
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, lovely! I can almost taste those herby chips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my Mum tempting us with this when we were young by calling it 'Sailor's Standby'! We thought sailor's ate this before going on watch!
    I still enjoy it now though and not just when the cupboard is bare and I'm feeling uninspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! This looks delicious and is definitely my kind of food. Breakfast works any time of the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is on my menu for the weekend; my husband will think he is in heaven; eggs and with that come chips! Gotta be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love,love,love that recipe, so does my husband, it is his kind of fast food, me too. Really enjoyed the video of Mitzi, she is adorable, and such beautiful eyes. MoiraCcanada

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking about having eggs for dinner. I don't know it it will be as beautiful as yours. We'll see what we come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your talkin' my language on a rainy weeknight or a Sunday Supper... Now I've got dinner for tomorrow night...!
    Thanks Marie!
    Deb ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im agree with Todd, these chips and eggs look absolutely awesome and tasty! Im really hungry!! huggs dear, to all of you xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. We frequently ate this on "lean" nights, growing up. I never knew at the time that the pantry was getting low, I just thought it was super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dish looks awesome, PERFECT for a night in with a bottle of wine! The weather needs to hurry up and get chilly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!