Orange and Coconut Crisp

Sunday 20 February 2011



I picked up a couple of bags of nice looking naval oranges at the shops the other day, and after eating as many as we wanted to eat fresh, I decided to make something delicious and yet unusual with them. I had in mind to make a crumble . . . and why not?



We use all sorts of fruits to make tasty crumbles with . . . apples, pears, rhubarb, plums, blueberries, gooseberries and so on . . . why not oranges? Juicy and sweet, I thought they'd make a fabulous crumble . . .



Especially with a buttery crispy topping shot full of flaked coconut. Oranges and coconut . . . ambrosia!



I was going to add some macadamia nuts to the topping as well . . . but alas, I had none in the cupboard. Do try it if you want though. I'd add about 1/2 cup chopped nuts. It would be a fabulous addition I think!



Each mouthful of this was sweetly orangy, buttery crispy and moreishly scrummy! I dare to say it's quite healthy as well as there is not a lot of fat in it really.



Oranges . . . chock full of Vitamin C and fibre . . . and not just for juicing or eating out of hand anymore! I do hope you'll try this. ☺



*Orange and Coconut Crisp*
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

Deliciously different. You are going to love this!

For the fruit filling:
6 large navel oranges
2 ounces orange juice (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 TBS of quick cooking tapioca (or an equal amount of corn flour)
1 TBS Grand Marnier (Orange flavoured Liqueur)
Butter

For the topping:
3 ounces of plain flour (2/3 cup)
2.5 ounces sugar (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
2 ounces chilled butter, cut into bits (1/4 cup)
2 ounces flaked sweetened coconut (2/3 cup)

Single cream to serve

Peel and section the oranges over a large bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of the juices. (Don't throw away the peels. I'll show you what to do with them tomorrow!) Stir in the tapioca and Grand Marnier. Let stand for about half an hour before proceeding, giving it a stir every now and then.

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Lightly butter an 11 by 7 inch dish. Pour in the orange mixture. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, sugar and salt for the topping together in a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the coconut and then sprinkle evenly over top of the fruit.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm, spooned out into bowls along with some cream for pouring.

Tune in tomorrow to see what I did with the peels!

12 comments

  1. Thanks for giving me a good idea for tomorrow's dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy Marie - love the addition of Grand Marnier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have thought to do crumble with oranges. What a good idea. It looks and sounds lovely. Like a summer crumble

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen oranges made into anything but marmalade. This is a unique idea and I love anything coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting combo of ingredients, I would never have thought of. But of course they would work together, don@t know why I haven't tried this already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never thought of that..

    You are a wizardess in the kitchen:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, this is so creative!! I can't wait to try it!! I love coconut and am always looking for excuses to bake with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, delicious... I put together MFK Fisher's Ambrosia the other day from her original recipe... and it tasted a bit flat...this really does sound heavenly : ) It's on my list to do... soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie-Love your refreshing orange coconut crisp. Such a yummy combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting and unique! I love oranges and coconut...I never would have thought to put them together in a dessert crumble like this. I'd like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! I love these flavors! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very different kind of a crumble/crisp and perfect for the Winter months when Citrus is cheaper and in season! You are welcome! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!