Gingered Raspberry & Pear Cobbler

Saturday 1 October 2011



Did I ever tell you about the time I ate so many raspberries that I made myself sick? I was 11 years old and it was a hot August day. We were moving in to a new house. In the meantime we were staying at my Grandfather's house. My father had gone on to meet the furniture truck and was going to come back and get us when the furniture had been off loaded. To make a long story short . . . the truck was late arriving, my mother insisted on not feeding us because "My father was going to be back any minute," and my sister and I were so hungry we gorged ourselves in the next door neighbour's raspberry patch.



So not cool . . . and I so paid for it later on. I always got car sick anyways, but on that day I got really sick . . . I do believe my father was hoovering raspberry seeds out of the carpet in that car for years . . . and it was truly years and years before I could ever bring myself to eat a raspberry and enjoy it again . . .



Thankfully the brain eventually forgets things like this . . . unless you are feeling sick anyways. (For some odd reason when I'm not feeling well, I start to remember everything I've ever eaten when I've been sick in the past!) Anyways, I now love raspberries again and I adore raspberry season.



It's late raspberry season now and it also happens to be pear season . . . I reckon nature has it right and just as strawberries and rhubarb come in to season together and make a beautiful taste marriage . . . I have come to realize that late season raspberries and autumn pears make another beautiful taste marriage . . . especially when you combine them with ginger . . .
OOhh la la! C'est si bon! ♥♥♥



We went to Gordale Nurseries today and picked up two raspberry canes, a tayberry cane, two blueberry bushes and a new pear tree (to replace the one that got fire leaf blight). . . and of course I could not resist going through the gift section. I came across these adorable little cup and saucer sets which have heart shaped saucers! (Even the handle on the cup is heart shaped. They came in pink and red. I had to have the red!) So perfect for autumnal desserts such as this fabulous Gingered Raspberry & Pear Cobbler!!! They seem to set it off perfectly. (I am picturing a Valentines White Chocolate and Ginger mousse in them now, aren't you?)



Anyways, you just have to make this delicious cobbler. It is the perfect autumnal pudding . . . moreishly scrumptious and oh soooo fabulously tasty!! Sweet and sticky fruit topped with a buttery gingery biscuit topping. What's not to like???



Resistance is totally futile. Trust me on this.



*Gingered Raspberry & Pear Cobbler*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

A delicious combination that will have them coming back for seconds!

1 TBS butter to butter the pan

For the filling:
3/5 ounces granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
2 TBs plus 1 tsp cornflour
pinch of fine seasalt
4 large pears, peeled, cored and sliced
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
9 ounces fresh or frozen raspberries (2 cups)
1 TBS cold butter, cut into small bits

For the topping:
8 3/4 ounces of plain flour (1 3/4 cup)
4 TBS granulated sugar, divided
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine seasalt
10 TBS cold butter, cut into small bits (5 ounces)
2 ounces candied ginger, chopped (1/3 cup)
5.5 fluid ounces, plus 1 TBS cold buttermilk

To serve:
Pouring Cream, Custard or Vanilla Bean Ice cream

First make the topping. Whisk the flour, 3 TBs of the sugar, the baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Add the butter, and toss to eavenly coat. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you get crumbs the size of peas. Stir in the candied ginger, then pour in the 5.5 fluid ounces of buttermilk, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The dough should be crumbly with visible pieces of butter. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Butter a 9 inch deep dish pie pan. Set aside.

Rub the sugar, cornflour and salt (for the filling) together in a large bowl. Add the pears and lemon juice. Toss until evenly coated. Gently fold in the raspberries. Transfer to the prepared pan. Dot with the 1 TBS of butter.

Turn the dough for the topping out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently press together into a 9 inch circle. Place carefully on top of the fruit. Brush with the 1 TBS of buttermilk and sprinkle with the remaining 1 TBS of sugar.

Bake in the bottom third of the oven for 30 minutes. Turn the oven down to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the juices are bubbly and thick. Allow to cool for half an hour before serving. Serve with pouring cream, custard or ice cream. Delicious!



I'm playing with Croissants, Chocolate and Preserves over in the Cottage today with Chocolate and Fruit Filled Croissants! There are also some lovely pictures of our trip the other day to Betws-y-coed in Wales.

10 comments

  1. Your story has made me laugh! Poor you, but I am very pleased you can eat raspberries again, they have to be one of my fave "summer" fruits. This cobbler looks so good ... and I especially like your gift shop purchase too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH a funny story! I remember a similar incident when I was about 6 years old, but with dessert gooseberries, the pinky red ones ~ my grandparents had an old cottage in Northumberland and a HUGE gooseberry patch at the bottom of the garden, where I sneaked off one day for a "Fairy tea" of gooseberries ~ NOT a good idea! I hated gooseberries for ages after that, but I DO love them now.
    This raspberry cobbler looks fabulous and I may have a go at it, as I have LOADS of raspberries at the moment, I pick about 200g A DAY!
    Looks wonderful and so seasonal too.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds perfect... Cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *love raspberries*! good luck with your plantings. while i've yet to be sickened from fruits, my aunt elda shared a story from her youth: one night, her crush at the time was coming to pick her up for a date &, wouldn't you know...that afternoon she started to come down with a scratchy throat. she did her best, but as evening approached it kept getting worse, & she was determined *not* to miss this date. so, just as he was pulling up, she went to the fridge (recalling that her mom had said a little lemon juice helps the throat), &, not having the patience to take time, she chugged a large swig of the juice down. aunt elda went on her date, all right, but her mouth was so puckered from the lemon she couldn't force her lips open to say a word, much less get her 'goodnight kiss'. decades later, & she still can't bear the thought of drinking lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cup and saucers are so cute..Sounds like you will have wonderful fresh produce of your own soon..:)

    Thanks for the recipe..I hope the brain eventually forgets everything:)

    Made the cake..almond and mixed berriss..It is divine..Ohh lala is right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie you are so funny!! my dear Marie I love raspberriesand this look delicious and I love really love your cup heart look beauty!!! gloria have a nice weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good. I think I need to go out and get some pears. Won't do anything so fancy, but a little crumble with some ginger would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this looks divine!

    Loved your story, Marie--even though it was horrible for you at the time! Still have a smile on my face!

    Just catching up--again! My computer time has been lessened lately--I miss it!

    By the way...what are tayberry bushes? Never heard of them...

    Wishing you the most glorious Conference weekend, my dear friend...sending lots of love your way this beautiful fall day...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was a bad raspberry experience for sure!!I love the sound of this desert,, just perfect,,what a cute cup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!