All Dressed Tortilla Chips

Thursday 12 January 2012



It wasn't until a visit to my sister's in London, Ontario back in the early 1990's that I had ever considered that you could make your own nachos at home! (I know, how incredibly naive was I!!) We (my whole family) were there for a weekend and she threw these together for an evening snack. Oh my goodness, but they were some delicious!



They became a firm favourite in my own home after that and we often had them on game nights, or other celebrations. Everyone always loved them and we often varied the toppings to whatever it was we had in the cupboard and fridge at the time.



Alas . . . my waist line can no longer contemplate evening snacks such as these, game night or no! So now we have them for supper as an occasional treat. I'll often serve a bit of salad on the side.



I like to bake and serve them in individual small gratin dishes. That way they seem that little bit more special . . .



Sometimes I add chopped leftover cooked chicken, meat or even shrimps. Sometimes we add bell peppers, other times pickled jalapenos . . . it all depends on what's in the cupboards and refrigerator at the time.



I've never had anyone complain. That says it all. Thanks sis!! This has always been a real winner!



*All Dressed Tortilla Chips*
(Ultimate Nachos)
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

1 (450g) bag of lightly salted Tortilla Chips
(4 serving size)
1 (435g) tin of refried beans (about 2 cups)
Use low fat ones if you can
2 (226g) jars of spicy salsa (about 2 cups)
8 ounces medium to strong cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
Can use a Mexican blend if desired or Pepper Jack
Optional extras:
chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
chopped sweet bell peppers
chopped green and black olives
chopped cooked chicken, beef, pork or even baby shrimps, as desired
To finish:
chopped spring onions
sour cream

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Line a large baking sheet with foil, or have ready 4 single serving gratin dishes. (My preference is the gratin dishes)

Divide the tortilla chips between the gratin dishes, or spread them out on the prepared baking sheet. Spoon the refried beans over top, dabbing them here and there. (They will be impossible to spread evenly. Just do your best) Spoon the salsa over top of the refried beans. Sprinkle the cheese over top of the salsa.

Add your desired optional extras. Bang the gratin dishes, or the tray into the oven and allow to cook until the beans and salsa are heated through and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the chopped spring over all. If desired, dollop with sour cream and serve immediately.



Cooking in the Cottage today, Classic Pavlova!

7 comments

  1. Yes please, pass me a bowl of those! Nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum--I want to try it without the dairy--I think it would still be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried this - now I can't wait - I know these will go down well in my house - thanks!
    mary oxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a mini meal to me! Well done Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sister lives in London, Ontario? I am only 1 hour from London and I make the trip very often, I have relatives and best friends who live there. How about that!!! Your nachos look delicious I will be trying that recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look delicious dear Marie, send you huggs and kisses dear :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!