Pappardelle with Roasted Winter Squash, Rocket and Pistachios

Monday 16 January 2012



Oh my but I do love me some pasta from time to time. Todd . . . he does hate it with a passion and so . . . I only ever have it very infrequently . . . almost never really.



The other day he was going with the missionaries to have lunch at a Single Sister's house and so I decided to fulfil my flagrant need to eat some pasta and threw together this dish.



Unfortunately my Pappardelle was a bit broken up . . . which didn't affect the flavour at all . . . just the looks. It went down the same and tasted every bit as delicious.



I love butternut squash as well, especially roasted until it is almost caramelized . . . and I love the flavour of sage . . . rocket . . . je t'adore . . . and pistachios??? Well, they just happen to be my most favourite nut of all time!!



So . . . let's see now . . . roasted butternut squash all sweetly caramelized at the edges . . . toasted pistachio nuts . . . oh so scrummy . . . sage . . . all musty herby . . . the peppery bite of rocket . . . almost meaty . . . buttery al dente pasta . . . oh . . . and cheese, finely grated Parmesan Reggiano . . . all together in my bowl, on my fork and in my tummy.



Bliss. Pure and utter bliss . . .




*Pappardelle with Roasted Winter Squash, Rocket and Pistachios*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

Easy to cook and relatively low in fat. Low fat doesn't have to mean dissatisfied. This pleases on many levels! It's peppery, sweet and quite filling!

4 cups of butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
(about 1 medium sized squash)
2 TBS of good quality Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp of good quality extra virgin olive oil
fine seasalt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
low fat cooking spray
8 ounces uncooked pappardelle or fettuccine
1 TBS butter
4 TBS coarsely chopped raw shelled pistachio nuts
1 TBS chopped fresh Sage leaves
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 of a 70g bag of washed rocket (2 cups)
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
corasely ground black pepper to garnish

Preheat the oven to 230*C/475*F/ gas mark 7. Line a baking tray with foil wrap. Spray lightly with cooking spray.

Toss the squash cubes together in a bowl with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and some pepper. Spread out on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 25 minutes or so, until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

About halfway through the baking time for the squash cook the pasta, according to the package directions, omitting any salt or fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 TBS of the cooking liquid.

Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the pistachio nuts, sage and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes until the nuts begin to toast and the mixture becomes very fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and toss in the drained pasta, cooking liquid, roasted squash and rocket, tossing all together gently to combine. Add a pinch of salt, some freshly ground black pepper and the cheese. Toss gently again to combine. Serve immediately.



Baking in The Cottage today, a delicious Golden Jubilee Cake.

10 comments

  1. Nice combination! And I see balsamic vinegar in the ingredients- another favorite flavor of mine. Time for me to go buy a butternut squash : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could Todd not like pasta! I love pasta, and this recipe looks delicious. I will definitely try this one. Butternut squash added to the grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les photos parlent d'elles même:) Magnifique votre blog!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice pasta dish and you know I love your golden jubilee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to take this moment to say that I really love this blog. It has been a good resource of information for me. Thank you so much
    All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker

    ReplyDelete
  6. DELICIOUS, Marie! This is actually similar to something I make too, but I often add blue cheese...mmm... Happy Day ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look delicious Marie, really nice, big huggs to you dear love yah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is terribly sad you pasta for dinner is almost never for you. Lovely dish. I couldn't agree more about your choice of flavours here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was dinner this evening. I made my own fresh pasta which was lovely and we enjoyed the tasty contrast of the sweet, soft, caramelised butternut with the peppery, crispness of the rocket and the salty crunch of pistachio. I had a little blue cheese as well that I crumbled on top along with the parmesan.

    It's a very easy dish to make (especially if you use commercial pasta) and a really different way to serve butternut. Cashews go well with butternut, as does dill, so they might be flavours to consider as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hat you made your own fresh pasta Marie! I haven't made my own at home since culinary school. Perhaps when I get my own place and have only myself to please! I am really happy you enjoyed this. Love the sprinkle of bluecheese. It goes really well with the winter squashes! Thank you so very much for taking the time to make this and then share with us! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!