Frozen Lemon Souffle

Thursday 9 February 2012

Frozen Lemon Souffle   

  




I cannot imagine my kitchen without a bowl of lemons sitting on the counter. Bright and sunny and oh-so-very handy for lots of things. Lemons are probably one of my most used fresh ingredients.  



 I usually buy the unwaxed ones, and even if a recipe calls only for the juice, I used my handy dandy microplane fine grater tool to remove the zest and I pop it into the freezer for later use.   



Frozen Lemon Souffle 




 And then there is candied lemon peel, so very easy to do, and so tasty. It's also quite handy to have on hand to use as garnishes for cakes and cookies, muffins, and desserts.


   



I also dry my own citrus peels to be used in cooking stews etc. Just remove the peel, without any of the white pith, and string it up on strings. Hang it in a dry place for a time, until completely dry and then store it in an airtight container. 



 It comes in plenty handy as well. I once had to cook some shrimp for a dinner party starter at work, that called for three types of dried citrus peels, made into a powder to dust the shrimp with before cooking. 


 You cannot imagine how happy I was to know I already had peel dried and at the ready to use!! It's very easy to dry lemon, lime and orange peels. You won't be sorry you did, and I'm sure you will find all sorts of uses for them. 




   



 Anyhoo, I digress again . . . lemons. My favourite ingredient and one that I use often. Always with pleasure . . . 


 Like in this easy, very tasty and impressive dessert. Note - the finished dish contains raw eggs, so please take this into consideration before serving it to your guests.


   



  *Frozen Lemon Souffle* 

Makes 1 large, or 12 individual souffles 

Printable Recipe 


 This is a fabulous dessert that is not only delicious but impressive. Perfectly light and tasty for after a heavy meal. This contains raw eggs so be careful not to serve it to the very elderly and the very young.


 250g shortbread biscuits (1/2 pound or 8 ounces) 

50g butter, melted (3 1/2 TBS) 

4 large free range eggs, separated 

the juice from two large lemons 

the finely grated zest from two large lemons 

185g of caster sugar, divided (scant cup) 

1/8 tsp cream of tartar 

1/8 tsp salt 

375ml double cream (1 1/2 cups)

 Lemon peel and black berries to garnish 



   



 Crush the shortbread biscuits in the food processor. Mix with the melted butter and blitz once more. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan, or in the bottom of 12 3-inch rings that you have laid out on a cookie sheet lined with foil. 


 Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and 50ml of the sugar. Blend together well. 


 In another, but very clean, bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Beat in the cream of tartar and the salt. Continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. 


 Whip the cream in another bowl until soft peaks form. 

 Fold the egg whites and whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture. 

 Spoon into the prepared pan(s). Cover with foil and freeze for at least 8 hours. 


 Allow to soften in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving if you have made a large one. If you made small ones, you can warm the sides of the rings with your hands and push them out carefully. Place on individual plates and garnish with some lemon peel and blackberries.

12 comments

  1. I would love this:)I love lemons on my counter too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love lemons and all with lemons dear Marie and this is absolutely delicious!!! huggs to you and Todd dear!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using a big Florida lemon to make lemonade this week! It's so delicious! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to have lemons on my counter - lately I've been on an orange kick. I have to buy more soon - your souffle sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lemon, too! I keep a fruit bowl with bananas on my counters, but I think I need to add a few lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the smell of lemon... this is delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything and all things lemon,, this is so fancy ,, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have a bowl of lemons in my kitchen but my hubby would wonder why they weren't in a lemon tart!
    I've never dried the peel before but I will from now on...what a super idea ;)
    I'm currently waiting for my lemons to ripen...they're nearly there but just teasing us at the moment, so it has to be to market, to market to buy a bunch! (isn't that how it goes?)
    Have a great weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful & elegant, Marie. I must try this one next time we have the family over. I love anything with lemons. Fun with the dried peel! :o) LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does look like an impressive dessert and one that I would love as I am a lemon addict!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy looking at your site, but have to wait each time for the blue 'wallpaper' to disappear otherwise it is very difficult to read! Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have that problem David and Carolyn Barrett. I've asked my son about it as he is a computer tech and he doesn't seem to know what the problem is either. If you are using a mobile device, such as an ipad or iphone, etc. this could take longer for all the elements of the page to load, or also the type of browser as well, although I had to say that it doesn't happen to me on my ipad, which uses safari, or on my lap top or desk top which I use ie explorer on, as well as chrome and firefox. I do have mobile settings enabled so that if you are using a mobile device the blue shouldn't show up at all. I have no idea how to fix your problem, but I will keep looking for answers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!