Baked Corned Beef Hash

Saturday 30 June 2012



I had a rather lazy culinary day the other day . . .



The kind of day where I just couldn't get my act together, and make up my mind what I wanted to cook for our supper. I spent a while looking through my cookbooks, but nothing was tempting me at all. I wanted something quick and easy, but at the same time filling, and let's not forget . . . tasty!!



I hadn't gone grocery shopping yet, and in all honesty fresh ingredients were rather low on the ground.



I had potatoes and eggs, some onions and a few red peppers. I had picked up a nice tin of chunky corned beef the last time I was in Marks and Spencers.



In the end I decided to make us a nice Corned Beef Hash for our supper. It went down a real treat with my meat and potatoes loving husband, and, in all honesty, I rather enjoyed it myself!!!



*Baked Corned Beef Hash*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Store cupboard favourite. Quick, easy, cheap and cheerful! Perfect for those nights when you are lacking in inspiration and ingredients. You can serve this topped with either a poached or fried egg if you wish. Delicious!

4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 TBS vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 large tin of corned beef, chopped
1 to 2 TBS creamed horseradish
142 ml of double cream (a scant 1/2 cup)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish

Boil the potatoes in a pot of lightly salted water for about 5 minutes. Drain well and allow to dry slightly before proceeding.

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Tip in the dried potatoes. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes until they start to turn golden brown. Stir through the corned beef. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk the cream and horseradish together. Fold into the hash.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/ 400*F/ gas mark 6. Tip the hash into a lightly buttered casserole dish, leaving it a bit craggy. Place into the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until bubbling and beginning to brown.

Note - If desired you can top the hash with some grated strong cheddar cheese and pop it under the grill to toast.

7 comments

  1. YUM - full of flavor - quick and delicious supper
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una receta sabrosa y espectacular me encanta,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know Kaoskoch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No horseradish !! :( I was just going to make that ! What else, apart from the horseradish could I use ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice, how about some spicy mustard?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!