Double Chocolate Muffins

Wednesday 27 June 2012



I'm not sure why it is . . . but it's terribly difficult to get a great picture of chocolate anything . . . well, it is for me anyways!



I have seen really delish looking chocolate photos out there, but I don't know how people do it . . . this is a skill that remains a mystery to me. I'd love to know their secrets!



I wanted to bake a special treat for our friend Doreen before we go away and so I thought I would make her some chocolate muffins. They would be something that she could pop into her freezer and then just take one out when she wanted to . . . so she doesn't miss me too much.



She is like me . . . she loves chocolate. Then again . . . not very many women don't love chocolate do they? I know there are the odd few . . . but typically this is very rare.



Back to the muffins. Fudgy, dark, chocolatey . . . and stogged full of white chocolate bits.
Yummo!!



*Double Chocolate Muffins*
Makes 12 muffins
Printable Recipe

Fudgy chocolate muffins, stogged full of white chocolate bits. What's not to like??

125g of unsalted butter, melted (1/2 cup)
100g bar of plain chocolate, chopped (I used one bar of Lindt dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, about 3 1/2 ounces)
225g of plain flour (2 14 cups)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch salt
40g cocoa powder (not chocolate drink mix, 1/3 cup)
175g of golden caster sugar ( scant cup)
200g white chocolate chopped (7 ounces)
1 medium freerange egg
200ml of milk (7 fluid ounces)
150g tub of natural yoghurt (2/3 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. LIne a 12 hole muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.

Place the chocolate and butter into a bowl. Set over simmering water and melt. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Once melted, whisk together and set aside to cool while you do the rest of the recipe.

Whisk together the flour, soda, salt, cocoa powder and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the choclate bits. Beat together the milk, egg, yogurt and vanilla. Pour both the egg mixture and the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture. Mix up quickly, without over mixing. Spoon into the muffin cases.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from the pans and allow to cool on a wire rack. Will keep in an airtight container for up to three days. These freeze well also. To thaw out, pop into the microwave on high for about 10 seconds.

4 comments

  1. I'm going to have to save this one for my hubby, I'm making so much lemon cake he doesn't know what to do with himself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lil' G asks if you are going to make these for him when you come ;D And says "mmmm" while Lil' L looks says "num!" and "mine!" and "birthday cake".... He's not stopped pointing to every cake/muffin/cupcake as birthday cake, nor stopped singing or asking me/Anthony to sing Happy Birthday since his own 2nd birthday five months ago! LOL.
    Love you, and can't wait to see you, whether you cook or no ;D

    When do you come visit exactly? We want to squeeze in as much time as possible together, so me & the lil' guys hope to come down ahead of Anthony for your visit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for a perfect chocolate recipe! when the mood strikes (which is often for chocolate) the recipe is bookmarked !
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m ecstatic I discovered your website and blogs.

    Twinxl Sheets

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!