Recipes that are delicious and that always work!

You know these recipes are delicious because if I didn't think that they were fabulous . . . I wouldn't be showing them to you. You can also be sure that these recipes work for the same reason! The rest is simply a matter of taste.

Monday, 11 June 2012

Sticky Lemon Chicken


I am always on the look out for a good chicken breast recipe.  We eat a lot of chicken in this house, and it mostly comes in the form of breasts, because they are relatively healthy and low in fat.


It's so easy to get them all wrong though . . . because they are so lean and low in fat . . . that also means that there is a fine line between cooked and overcooked.  It's an uneasy balance that can be so easily thrown off.  That can all change though . . . by leaving a bit of the bone attached and leaving the skin on.


The skin can help protect all that fat free leaness from drying out, and becoming most unpalatable.  I love chicken . . . but I absolutely loathe dried out tasteless chicken . . .


Most often, unless I am cooking them in a stir fry or some other dish that is quick and easy . . . I leave them partially boned and the skin on if I can.  Those two things add a lot of flavour, without really adding much in the way of fat or calories.  I always take the skin off before eating . . .that skin is just a barrier between a dry breast and a delicious breast . . . end of.


This is a very simple recipe here today, using only a few ingredients . . . but it has BIG flavour . . . and juiciness.  Just look at that succulent juiciness . . . it's a very good thing.


Honey, lemon and oregano . . . it's the Holy Trinity of chicken deliciousness.  Trust me.

*Sticky Lemon Chicken*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A very simple recipe which produces moist delicious chicken with a slight stickiness.  Serve with some rice and a vegetable for a simple supper.

4 part boned chicken breasts, with the skin on
the finely grated zest and juice of one lemon (un-waxed)
1 TBS clear runny honey
1 TBS olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat th e oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Put the chicken breasts into a baking tin, skin side up.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper.  Put the lemon juice and zest, honey, olive oil and garlic into a small bowl and warm through in the microwave. (about 30 seconds)  Stir well to mix everything together.  Pour this mixture over top of the chicken.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, taking it out to baste every ten minutes or so.  The juices should gradually thicken and create a delicious sticky glaze, and the chicken juices should run clear.  Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.


  1. That looks absolutely moist and delicious! :)

  2. Thanks, Marie,
    Enno and I eat a lot of chicken and I was looking for a new recipe. This sounds good and just in time. Monday is my cooking day. :) Jenny

  3. THis sounds really good and will be on the menu later this week.

  4. Marie!! Another delicious chicken recipe I must try!! : ) Bookmarked!

  5. Hi Marie

    Is that fresh or dried oregano

  6. Jackie, that is dried oregano. You can use fresh if you want, but double the amount, as dried herbs are much more potent that fresh!

  7. The recipe does not mention when to add salt or other seasoning ?

  8. HI Meenu, I should have said to season as desired with salt and pepper. I will adjust the recipe. Thanks for pointing out my omission. :-)

  9. This may sound silly but what is "clear runny honey" exactly? Looks delicious!

  10. Katie, it is liquid honey. Honey usually comes in two forms. The more solid, but spreadable and opague variety called creamed honey and the liquid pourable syrupy honey which is translucent. Hope this helps and yes, it is very delicious!

  11. So I have pre-frozen raw chicken breast. Do you think this recipe could be done with that? Would I have to adjust anything because it is boneless, skinless?

  12. Grace, I would thaw it first. MY chicken breasts were also boneless, so I would keep the cook time to the same. As you will be basting it every ten minutes, you will easily be able to see if it is getting done sooner. Hope this helps.

  13. I just found you on Pinterest, looks heavenly and I'll try it this weekend!!

  14. I hope that you enjoy it Carole!

  15. Came from pinterest! This looks amaze! Can I use lemon juice instead of lemons? I have no lemons on hand lol

  16. Hi Jacinda, it does say the JUICE of one lemon, plus the zest. It won't be as lemony without the zest, but it should still be quite delicious with only the juice. I'd use about 1/4 cup.

  17. Just made this, changed it a bit to work with what I have. Used the lemon zest and juice but added ruby red grapefruit zest and half the juice from the grapefruit. Doubled the honey ,omitted the oregano and substituted coconut oil for was divine!

  18. Alicia, so happy it was enjoyed! Thanks for coming back and taking the time to let us know! Xo

  19. You say to warm in the Microwave okay for how long?

    1. That's really quite subjective as I don't know the strength of your microwave. In mine it takes about 30 seconds Sandra.


Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy! Please don't attempt to leave spam. It will be deleted immediately.