A Lighter Chicken Taco Salad

Friday 3 August 2012



In my quest to keep things light around here most of the time, (I can't manage it all of the time, I'm only human you know . . . ) I made myself a chicken salad for my tea tonight, whilst Todd chowed down on a Pork Pie . . . with English Mustard. (There's no accounting for taste, lol)



Mind you . . . the Toddster probably thought the same thing when he saw my salad . . . he's not that big a fan of salad, although he does admit I don't make a bad one.



I adapted this recipe from one I found in CookingLight, August 2006. I love Cooking Light Recipes. I have never had a bad one yet. Perhaps I am just lucky. The only problem I have usually is getting the same ingredients . . . so oftimes my results are not quite as low in calories as theirs are . . . but I figure I am still winning the calorie battle anyways.



This is a delicious salad, made zesty with the smoky flavour of chipolte chili in the dressing, filled with lots of fabulous flavours and textures . . . creamy avocado, meaty black beans, sweet corn, crisp lettuce . . .



Of course the cheese and added crunch of the tortilla chips are my own addition . . . but a gal needs a little bit of indulgence I think, don't you??



*A Lighter Chicken Taco Salad *
Serves four
Printable Recipe

Zesty and flavourful and pretty healthy too! I love this.

For the Dressing:
a handful of chopped fresh coriander (about 1/3 cup)
145g light sour cream (2/3 cup)
1 TBS minced chipolte chile in adobe sauce
1 tsp ground cumin (toasted first in a hot skillet)
1 tsp chili powder (toasted first in a hot skillet)
4 tsp fresh lime juice
pinch salt

For the Salad:
4 cups of shredded romaine lettuce
2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 of a medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small avocado, peeled and diced
1 425g tin of cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce)
1 small tin of salad corn, drained and rinsed (qb out 1 cup)

To Garnish: (optional)
a handful of crushed tortilla chips
a handful of grated medium cheddar cheese or Jack cheese

Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, making sure they are well combined. Set aside and chill.

Combine all of the salad ingredients in a bowl, with the exception of the tortilla chips and the cheese. Add the dressing and toss together. Divide amongst four chilled plates. Top with the corn chips and cheese. Serve immediately.

6 comments

  1. Mmmm, that looks super yummy! I might have to whip some up for lunch soon! I have the hardest time deciding what to eat for lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. fresh and tasty, with this heat is the right dish! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look so fresh and delicious, can't wait to give this a try!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely delicious. Salad is an absolute favourite of mine and I am a tad excited to try your chicken taco salad. Cheers for sharing!

    Range Cookers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!