Apple and Berry Crumble for One

Saturday 4 August 2012



It's the weekend and time to have a little bit of a splurge. I've been slimming lately and so I haven't really been indulging overly much in desserts of any kind . . . and in truth, I haven't really wanted a lot in the way of sweets hanging around our house . . . hence the single portion goodies.



The Toddster . . . he is like a stick man. We are Jack Sprat and his wife . . . truly. He can eat whatever he wants and never puts on an ounce. Me??? I just have to sniff it, and my waistline explodes expands. Ok . . . so I do a little bit more than that . . . *sniff *sniff. Life just ain't fair!!



In any case, I had a presentation to do at the church the other night for our Christmas in July August evening with the ladies. I was in charge of presenting gifts in jars and I did a few gifts in mugs. Very cute stuff. Anyways, I ended up with all these baking mixes to use up that had created and so today, I thought I would bake the Apple Crumble in a Mug one . . . but as a single dessert for the Toddster, just big enough for him to enjoy all by himself.



I adapted the instructions somewhat . . . and I added some extra fruit to it, instead of just apples. I did bake it in a mug, but you could bake it in a tiny casserole dish or large ramekin if you wanted to. It turned out perfectly . . . delicious.



I cut down on the original amount of butter in the topping. It called for 3 TBS and I thought that a bit much, even for Todd. I also increased the baking time as at the end of the suggested one, as mine was not done as much as I would have liked it to be in that time . . . I wanted the top to have a bit of crunch. I mean that's the whole point of the topping . . .right??



In any case . . . the Toddster enjoyed . . . and I was good and just sniffed. *sniff*



*Apple and Berry Crumble for One*
Serve one generously, or two judiciously
Printable Recipe

A delicious and easy crumble, perfectly sized for one person . . . or two if you are wanting to share and not that greedy!

For the topping:
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch salt
4 TBS old fashioned rolled oats
3 TBS soft light brown sugar
1 1/2 TBS plain flour
1 1/2 TBS cold butter, cut into bits

For the fruit mixture:
1 medium Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
3 TBS mixed berries (I used raspberries and blueberries,
but you could use just one or even just blackberries, black currants, etc.
just what you have to hand)
3 TBS granulated sugar
1 TBS plain flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
a few gratings of fresh nutmeg

To serve:
pouring cream, vanilla ice cream, or vanilla custard (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter an individual casserole dish, ramekin or large mug.

Place the fruit in a small bowl. Whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg for the fruit, and then toss it into the bowl with the fruit, giving it all a good mix together. Spoon into your prepared container.

Mix together all of the dry ingredients for the topping. Drop in the butter and rub together until crumbly, using your fingertips. Crumble over top of the fruit. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the topping is nicely browned and the fruit is bubbling. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before tucking in, with or without cream, custard or ice cream!

2 comments

  1. Ohhh, "slimming" is so hard when you love food so much!! Keep it up! You can do it! But reward yourself with a teeny treat ONCE in a while. :) I feel your struggles... It's probably time to quit with the taffy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look really delicious Marie I love it:))
    Lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!