Slushed

Monday 6 August 2012



I was recently sent several cookery books to review. I never have to be asked twice if I want to review a cookbook as you know . . . I just love cookbooks.

The first one I was sent was a bit unsual, "Slushed" by Jessie Cross, of the nationally recognized flood blog, The Hungry Mouse. I have to confess . . . I had never heard of Jessie before I received this book, but apparently this avid, self-taught home cook has had her recipes and photography featured on websites such as Better Homes & Gardens, Bon Appetit, and Saveur . . . oh, and of course, Foodgawker.com. (Her food photography must be really good . . . I always get turned down by those food photography sites.)



Anyways, on to the book. I found this to be unusual in that almost all of the recipes contain alcohol. It was very difficult for me (a Mormon who doesn't imbibe alcohol) to find something in the book that I can make. Whilst I often cook with alcohol, I don't use it raw in anything. It does have some very delicious sounding recipes such as Caramel Apple Brandy Gelato and Frozen Key Lime Margarita Pie . . . but the alcohol in each of them makes it very difficult for me.

I would have liked to see more pictures as well. There are some, but they are grouped on a few pages and not placed with the recipes. I know . . . I have a lot of good cookery books that have no pictures at all . . . but where this gal is touted to be a prime food photographer . . . I would have liked to see more.



It's well laid out though, with 11 tasty looking chapters on everything from Basic Techniques and Equipment to Frozen Ice Pops, Gelatos, Ice Creams, Gelatos, Frozen Yoghurt, Semifreddo's, Granita's, Sorbet's, Ice Cream Sandwiches and Cakes, Frozen Beverages, and finally Toppings and Treats. Over 150 different recipes, each one sounding more delicious than the last.



I am going to do some more testing of the recipes, and try to make some without alcohol. I did manage to make one. (I like to at least try some of the recipes in any book I review) I made the Butterscotch Sauce and I have to say it is fabulously delicious and very easy to make. I cut the recipe in half with no problem and ended up with one of the best butterscotch sauces I have ever tasted . . .



*Butterscotch Sauce*
Makes 2 cups
Printable Recipe

A rich buttery sauce. Just lovely.

8 TBS butter
2 cups dark brown sugar (402g)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (350ml double or whipping cream)
2 tsp kosher salt (I used 1 1/2 tsp of flaked sea salt)
2 TBS vanilla extract

Whisk the butter in a medium sized, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat on top of the stove. Stir in the brown sugar. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes until the sugar melts. Whisk in the cream. Simmer over medium heat for about 7 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove the pot from the heat. Whisk in the salt and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate. This will keep for about a month in the refrigerator.



I didn't have any ice cream in the freezer to ladle it over, but I did use it in a very unique and tasty way. I made myself some Butterscotch Sauced Goat's Cheese and Cinnamon crusted Brioche Croustades.



Cinnamon Toasted slices of Brioche bread, topped with crumbled goat's cheese and drizzled with this tasty Butterscotch sauce. These flavours went together beautifully.



Trust me. I think this delicious sauce would rock just about anything you could drizzle it on.



*Butterscotch Sauced Goat's Cheese and Cinnamon Toasted Croustades*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Don't knock it until you try it!

4 thick slices of brioche
2 TBS softened butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 TBS soft light brown sugar packed
2 ounces goat's cheese, crumbled
Butterscotch sauce (purchased or homemade)

Preheat the grill to high. Stir together the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Place the slices of Brioche under the grill until lightly toasted, Flip them over and spread the untoasted sides with the cinnamon butter. Pop back under the grill and toast until bubbling and beginning to brown. Crumble the goats cheese over top and pop under again, just long enough to make the goats cheese a bit squidgy. Remove from the oven. Place oonto individual plates and drizzle with some butterscotch sauce to serve. Delicious!

Slushed by Jessie Cross

175 pages, more than 150 recipes
ISBN -13:978-1-4405-3218-4
Suggested retail $16.95 (CAN $17.99)
Available here in the UK at an RRP of £12.99

Many thanks to Sandra and fw media international for affording me this opportunity!

6 comments

  1. Sounds like fun Marie..apart from the ings you can't use... I had never heard of this blog either..will go look..
    Have fun testing ll the books you deserve it! Sauce looks rich and good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I just came across your blog and its amazing! I hope you have a chance to stop by mine.
    www.meandmysweets.blogspot.com

    Cheers!

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marie I really love cookbooks I go to bed with them haha is true!!
    Anyway hubby read thye newspaper LOL
    And I love the sauce look yumm!!!
    loads of love!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marie!
    I meant to tell you from your last post- Do you remember the song "Put The LIme in the Coconut"? It was popular in the early 70's. Hey, I'm old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is getting pinned!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!