Breakfast Sausage Patties (Pork)

Thursday 15 November 2012



Sometimes we like to have breakfast for supper.   On the weekends, we might splurge and have a big breakfast on occasion, but more normal than not . . . we have a big breakfast for supper . . . and by that I mean bacon and eggs, or sausage and eggs, or egg chips and beans, egg and chips, or even a full on proper fry up!  (I thought I had done a traditional proper English fry up on here before, but it appears I haven't. so look forward to a post on that soon!)

 

Today I decided to make us some sausage and eggs for our tea, but not the normal banger type of sausage.  Today I wanted to make my own breakfast type of sausage patties.  You can buy bulk sausage meat at the shops . . . and you can use that to make breakfast sausages with, and many use it to make traditional stuffing with at Christmas time.  I don't really like it though . . . it's a bit too pasty for my liking . . . probably full of fillers and bread.  I like to make my own.

 

It's not all that hard you know . . . and when you make your own, you know exactly what it in it.  Mine is purely meat and some seasonings . . . not a filler in sight.
I like to flavour mine with the traditional flavours of sage and thyme, and then I add a nice jot of  black pepper and cayenne pepper for just a bit of a bite.  Garlic adds another depth of flavour . . . not too much, mind . . . just one clove.

 

I am a Canuck . . . and so I like to add just a touch of Maple syrup.  It reminds me of the Maple sausages we can get back home . . . yummo!  A bit of salt for seasoning . . . and Bob's your Uncle!!

 

These are great to make ahead of time and freeze.  Then you can take out as many or as few as you like at any given time, which makes them a great make ahead for the upcoming holidays!  I hope you will give them a try and that you will like them as much as we do.  Just make sure you use not too lean a ground pork.  If it's too lean, they won't stay together . . . and like most things, a bit of fat only adds to the scrumminess.



*Breakfast Sausage*
Makes 8 servings
This isn't your traditional British Banger, stuffed into a snappy skin . . . but a homemade version, delicately spiced, lightly flavoured with Maple and shaped into patties for easy frying. They are perfect for those special breakfasts which you are going to be cooking over the coming holiday season, as you can mix them up, shape them and then freeze them for up to a month, so they are ready when you need them. Be sure to use a ground pork mix which has a nice balance of fat in it. If your pork is too lean, they won't hold together properly. 


2 pounds of ground pork
1 TBS of pure Maple Syrup
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 tsp of dried sage rubbed and crumbled
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme, rubbed and crumbled
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 TBS butter for cooking

Combine the ground pork, syrup, garlic, spices and seasoning together in a large bowl, using your hands and mixing together gently. Using a greased 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out and shape the mixture into 16 equally sized round patties, and pressing them flat for cooking. (To do this I place them on a plastic cling film lined baking sheet, cover them with another sheet of cling film, top with another baking sheet and press them gently to 1/2 inch thickness. 


Once you have shaped your patties, you can either wrap them individually and freeze them in a tightly covered container for up to one month or cook as follows. 


Melt 1 TBS of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter begins to foam, add the patties and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes per side, until cooked through (the juices run clear) and nicely browned. Transfer to a slow oven to keep warm while you cook the rest. Serve hot.
Note: This mixture can also be crumbled and cooked and used for breakfast casseroles

4 comments

  1. I want to see a full breakfast fry-up!!! I always think of hobbits when I read about those breakfast feasts... It's the fried tomatoes. They fry tomatoes in the Hobbit. And that Elf bread makes me think of scones... The denser, crunchier kind... Lol, only I could get food memories out of JRR Tolkien!! Anyway, back on subject. Breakfast. I must learn it. I'd love to make it for the in-laws, or my Dad... I'd feel just a smidge more English... Maybe we shouldn't come visit, Stephen may never be able to convince me to leave!! Enough rambling. I adore you, and your sausages! :)
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds fab - must try. I use a similar thing but change the spices to make chinese meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, April (above) is so funny! I can't wait till somebody *else* here reads The Hobbit so that we may make food that is like the book ... right now it would be yet another painful inside (my head) thing that nobody else would understand ...

    Anyhow, my middle child is a freak for all things fried and somewhat greasy (in that good kind of way) and breakfast sausage is one of them. I've been trying to give way a little and answer their cries to cook in my kitchen (I started at 4 myself but dislike the noise and chaos) ... and this recipe matched the veggies from my CSA so out we went to pick up the pork. I had to use fresh thyme and sage from the sad fall garden (but those herbs are in such good form) and it all worked out rather excellently. And bangers and mash is one of my husband's favourite meals, so success all around, especially because my 8 year old was willing to hand-mix the sausage meat, form the patties (great idea about the measuring cup, btw) and fry them to perfection. The 5 year old made mash, or rather did about .5 of the work.

    So thanks. Sorry for the long story, but we appreciated the sausages that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I have a strong aversion to processed sausage because my parents bought the nasty, cheap stuff when I was a child. It never occurred to me that I could make my own sausage with a bit of ground pork and seasonings ... naive but true! Thanks so much for sharing your creative and inspiring ideas. Btw, I love both of your blogs because I can never decide if you're better for my belly or my soul. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!