Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

Sunday 25 November 2012

 

When I am upset or get bad news, I tend to cook . . . I find it to be great therapy. I just get stuck in and lose myself in my labors . . . and if there is something tasty to eat at the end of it all, well . . . so much the better.  I know psychologically it's not good to sooth yourself with food, but sometimes you just have to do what you need to do and this morning it was to cook.

 

I have seen a lot of Cinnamon Roll Pancake recipes over these past few years, each one looking taste temptingly delicious and decadent.  Something to sooth . . . I love Cinnamon Roll anything . . . and so this morning I thought I would make some of these pancakes to surprise the Toddster when he got up.



I found this recipe on Recipe Girl, and it looked pretty good to me.  I made a few adaptions and before I knew it I was cooking something which looked decidedly scrummy, and they weren't as difficult as they seemed either.

 

It's a basic simple pancake batter, with a buttery cinnamon swirl piped over top while you are cooking the first side.  Then you just flip them over and cook the under side and slip the finished pancake onto a warm plate.  You can use a plastic squirt bottle to pipe on the cinnamon swirl, or you can use a plastic baggie.

 

I have a squirt bottle . . . but I used a small teaspoon.  It worked well for me.  Just make sure your mixture stays warm and somewhat liquid. If it begins to harden a bit on you . . . nuke it in the microwave for about 10 seconds.

 

I chose to use my own Cream Cheese Syrup recipe for mine, because . . . one I like it and two . . . the other recipe seemed too much like a frosting and I didn't want that.  But you can look at her recipe and make up your own mind.

 

These were fabulous. I would make them again.  As a once in a blue moon treat, they went down very well, and the Toddster . . . well, he quite simply thought he'd died and gone to heaven!



 *Cinnamon Roll Pancakes*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Not as hard as one might think.  Definitely scrummilicious!  We won't think about the calories.  A once in a blue moon treat for sure.

For the filling:
4 TBS unsalted butter, melted
6 TBS soft light brown sugar, packed
2 tsp ground cinnamon

For the pancakes:
100g plain flour (1 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
250ml of whole milk (1 cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten
1 TBS sunflower oil

For the Glaze/syrup:
1 250g package of cream cheese, softened (8 ounce pack)
250ml of maple syrup, warmed (1 cup)



First make the filling.  Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.  Place them into a plastic squeeze bottle if you have one.  If not, then you will need a heavy duty plastic food bag, small.  Put it into that and squish it down into one corner.  Cut a tiny piece off the tip.  Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt for the pancakes.  Beat together the milk, egg and oil.  Add to the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth.  Set aside for about 5 minutes.

To make the glaze/syrup, whisk the cream cheese and maple syrup together until smooth.  Set aside and keep warm.

Spray a nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and heat.  Pour in one eighth of the pancake batter.  (I use a measuring beaker for this.  It helps to make nice round pancakes.)  You want your pan not to be hot.  You will want to cook these on a low heat.  Your patience will be well rewarded.  Using the plastic bottle of filling, or the plastic bag, pipe a coil of the mixture onto the pancake, starting at the middle and working your way out.  Try not to hit the outside edge.  Cook until bubbles break across the whole surface of the pancake, and it is lightly browned,  then carefully flip the pancake over.  Cook for an additional 2 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom side.  Slide out of the pan onto a warm plate.  Place in a warm oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes.  Wipe the pan clean between each pancake and respray with cooking spray.

Serve warm with the warmed syrup drizzled over top.  Try not to think about the calories.  Remember this is a once in a blue moon treat.  ☺

12 comments

  1. Marie I have prayed for your mother and your family today.

    We might just have those pancakes over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fabulous. Not seen this technique before. I adore cinnamon so must give it a go.
    I agree cooking is a great source of therapy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a better way to start Sunday. Simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dear, I have joined my blog days ago and it's great! Everything you share is fabulous, convey a degree enviable passion for cooking! Everything looks so appetizing and beautiful ', that you share today is true. Food is a source of inspiration, these days I decided to make a delicious dessert and I said, "despite all today I will bless calories and eat a piece of this cake without resentment! Sanitize my thinking and other prejudices and fears wham enjoy my dessert, that is one of the great delights of life without fear! So every time I eat sparingly, bless the food and enjoy the whole process! congratulations, it's a wonderful blog! Greetings from the Caribbean! Rose M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very tasty, congratulations for inventiveness. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love a stack of those for breakfast! Combining cinnamon rolls and pancakes is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband would be over the moon:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love these. I'm afraid I'd overdo and need a big nap afterwards. Too yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I can relate - when extra happy or going through a difficult time, the kitchen is indeed therapy. And with these as a result - oh my goodness - a wonderful treat for the taste buds!!
    mary xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mother is in my thoughts and prayers, Marie.

    The cinnamon roll pancakes look delicious, I'm hungry just looking at the photos. A question, the skillet in the photo looks as though it has a bluish surface, is that a new kind of non-stick pan, or is it just the way the light made the pan look from the exposure?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone, these are indeed very good pancakes! Dangerous even! Mary, that pan is a non stick pan I have that is ceramic coated. Just like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GreenPan-Aluminium-Ceramic-Non-Stick-Coating/dp/B001O9BA1O

    It is called a Green Pan. I was given mine for subscribing to a cooking magazine. It's the best frying pan I have ever had! I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look scrumptiously delicious!!! Do I have the guts to try this for breakfast?? I may... The family loves cinnamon rolls... They're gorgeous. And your syrup alone has to be a keeper! Cream cheese... Mmmm.... :)
    Have a delightful day, of course!
    ~April

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!