Halloween is one of my favourite holidays. Not only do I find the spooky, jovial atmosphere intoxicating, but I also love the fact that it’s in such close proximity to bonfire night. Plus, you become more aware that it’s nearly Christmas time! Naturally, I love Halloween treats.
So, in the sprit of the season, I thought I would treat you to a recipe for some creepy chocolate cupcakes. You can use them for Halloween parties, give them to your children or, if you’re feeling really generous, make a batch for trick-or-treaters. It’s a great excuse to use my best heavy-duty, non-stick muffin tray.
*Creepy Cupcakes for Halloween*
Makes one dozen
These delicious Halloween style cupcakes are easy-to-make and can be completed in less than two hours.
4 ounces flour (1 cup)
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
Shop-bought ready-to-roll icing (approx 500g)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. Weigh your flour out in a measuring cup and whisk together with cocoa, baking soda and a pinch of salt. 3. Add sugar and butter together in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Add in your flour mix and eggs until a good consistency. Then, fold in your chocolate.
4. Spoon the mixture into your bakeware. Muffin cups may be the easiest to use.
5. Then, put them in the oven for around 20 minutes. You should be able to insert a utensil into the top and it will come out clean. Then, allow it to cool within your bakeware.
6. Roll out your icing of whatever colours you like and have fun creating scary faces with your icing. It could be anything from zombies and witches to skulls and mummies.
7. Remove them from your bakeware and serve or store.
(Note: All text and photo are credited to Zirca)