Crunchy Potatoes with Herby Salt

Tuesday 20 November 2012

 

I am in the process of testing out which recipes I am going to use as side dishes for my Christmas Dinner this year and it occurred to me that they would also make very delicious Thanksgiving sides and so I thought I would share this really delicious potato one that I made at the weekend.

 

Do note, that because there are only two of us normally, I have been cutting the dish portion sizes down and making smaller amounts ( and quite successfully too,  I might add) . . . this way I don't have any waste, and yet we get to try them ahead of time.



The first recipe I tried out is this roasted potato dish.  Roast potatoes are a must with pretty much any British Sunday Lunch or Holiday Dinner.  WE do love our roasties!!  Normally they are par-boiled, rolled in some fat and then roasted at a high temperature until they are golden and crispy.



This recipe today dispenses with the par boiling . . . and there is not a lot of fat in it.  Instead it relies on a mixture of an herby salt and fine cornmeal/polenta to give them their crunch.  The herby salt was very easily made.  The original recipe in the BBC Good Food magazine, December issue 2012, called for fresh herbs to be used to make the salt.  I used dry because that is what I had and it really made no difference, except that I can save any extra in my cupboard to use another time without fear of it spoiling.

Fresh herbs would mean that I would have to keep it in the fridge and use it up quickly.

 

These turned out really nice and golden brown with a delicious crunch . . . soft and fluffy in the middle . . . and not at all greasy.



The herbs gave them a really nice flavor, which we both enjoyed a lot!



I loved that there was only one dish to wash!  Instead of the two or three that normal roasted potatoes would use.  Less washing up is always a plus with me!

 

I would say that these are a definite contender!!  I think they would make a fabulous Thanksgiving side as well!  Let me know what you think!!

 

 *Crunchy Potatoes with Herby Salt*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

Adapted from a recipe in BBC Good Food Magazine, December 2012.

1.25kg/2 pounds 12 oz potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
3 TBS vegetable, sunflower or rapeseed oil
1 TBS fine polenta or cornmeal

For the Herby Salt
2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 tsp dried sage leaves
3 TBS coarse sea salt

fresh ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Have a large roasting tin ready.

Make the herby salt by putting everything into a mortal and pestle and grinding hen together until you have a fine salt, with lots of green flecks.  Toss the potatoes into the roasting pan with the oil, 2 TBS of the herby salt, the cornmeal and some black pepper (to taste) until they are coated evenly.

Roast in the heated oven for 30 minutes.  Give them a good shake and roast them for a further 15 to 20 minutes until they cooked through and the edges are nicely crisped.  Serve hot.

7 comments

  1. They look lovely, and I imagine that you will find all sorts of other uses for the herby salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these at the weekend (clearly we read the same magazine, lol) I was lucky enough to have all the herbs still growing in the garden, so used fresh. Even daughter, who doesn't like potatoes (odd, I know) enjoyed a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Those look so wonderful, Marie! They're making me want potatoes--and it's only 6:40 in the morning here!

    And just thinking about your turkey this week--I've done it your way the last couple of years now, and it's just perfection! Thanks for all you share, dear friend!

    Sending so much love your way this week, and always...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, these look positively scrumptious!! Your smashed potatoes are our new favorite potatoes and these look just as fabulous! I can't wait to try them :) Definitely a winner.
    Hope your day is wonderful, lots of love, April

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled across your blog today and made these tonight - very yummy! I look forward to trying many more of your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!