Fluffer Nutter Brownies

Saturday 3 November 2012



When I first moved over here twelve years ago . . . there were some things that you just couldn't find. Things like Betty Crocker cake mixes, Marshmallow Fluff,  and Skippy Peanut Butter, amongst other things.  You never know what you will miss until you can't have it any more . . .

 

Over those years I have had to learn to adapt some of my favourite recipes to use other ingredients that are available over here . . . but there were still some things that you just couldn't adapt no way . . . no how.  I used to bring back oodles of stuff each time I went over to Canada to visit my family.  Todd used to do a lot of moaning about that . . . but I just reminded him of how he would feel if he couldn't get marmite anymore!

 

I'm happy to say though that in recent years quite a few things have  become easily available . . . things like Gold Fish Crackers, Marshmallow Fluff, Skippy Peanut Butter and at least a few cake mix flavours . . . such as Devils Food and Carrot.  I'm still waiting for Crab-Apple Jelly, Captain Crunch Cereal and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Dinner to catch on . . . but I live in hope.

 

Being able to get some of these things though, means that I can now cook some of our favourite treats in my English Kitchen, like these delicious Brownies that I baked for the Missionaries yesterday . . .

 

Yes, they are a bit of a cheat because they use a boxed cake mix . . . but I know you won't hold that against me.  I've tried through the years to develop my own base . . . but I just haven't been able to crack it just yet.  The base for these is soooo moist and  fudgy and chocolatey . . .



And that fluffer nutter topping.  Fluffer nutter is a popular sandwich combination in North America . . . sandwiches spread with marshmallow cream and peanut butter.  In fact I do believe that it is so popular that you can now find it already mixed in jars.

 

I think though . . . fluffer nutter sandwiches were an Amish invention . . . but you can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

How can something that is soooo bad for you be soooo good!! 

 

In any case, no matter if it is a cheat . . . and no matter where it comes from . . . you can now make them here . . . in the UK, and with British ingredients.  The bottom line is this . . . they're fabulously delish and now I can make them here, at home . . . without dragging a heavy suitcase across the Atlantic, or paying an outrageous price at one of those speciality shops.

Life is very, very good.



*Fluffer Nutter Brownies*
Makes one 9 by 15 inch pan
Printable Recipe

These could not be easier, and they are fabulously, moreishly delicious!  I bet you can't eat just one!

1 500g box of Devils food cake mix (Betty Crocker, double layer cake)
2 large free range eggs
125ml of sunflower oil (1/2 cup)
120g of smooth peanut butter (2/3 cup)
1/2 of a 213g jar of marshmallow cream  (2/3 cup)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 397g tin of sweetened condensed milk (14 ounce)
a couple handfuls of milk or dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a 13 by 9 inch baking dish really well.  Set aside.

Mix together the oil, eggs and cake mix until well blended.  Spread this mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.  Set aside.

Whisk together the peanut butter, marshmallow cream, vanilla and sweetened condensed milk, until smooth and amalgamated.  Spread this mixture evenly over top of the chocolate mix.  Scatter the chocolate chips over top.

Bake for15 to 20 minutes, just until the edges are light golden brown and the centre is almost set.  You want it to be a bit gooey.  Allow to cool completely before cutting with a sharp knife into bars  for serving.  Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days, or in the refrigerator for longer, allowing them to come to room temperature for serving

You can now buy Marshmallow Fluff at Asda and I believe Sainsbury's.  The Cake mixes are pretty much available in all of the shops and you can get the Skippy Peanut Butter in Waitrose and Sainsbury's.

17 comments

  1. C'est un produit que j'ai trouvé pour la toute première fois en bretagne et vainement j'ai cherché une recette pour l'utiliser et n'en avais trouvée aucune , maintenant grâce à toi j'ai une belle et gourmande recette mais en provence je ne trouve plus de ce produit !!!!!
    Je garde ta recette ou cas ..où :)
    Merci
    Bon week-end
    Sacha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marie

    You could make your own "fluff"/marshmallow cream. I haven't tried the recipe yet it is on my to do list but it is contained within the SuperJam Cookbook by Fraser Doherty ISBN 978-0-09-193864-2. There are lots of recipes within this little gem dulce de leche, chocolate spread, pistachio butter and loads more as well as cake recipes how to use the ingredients. There is also a recipe for home made peanut butter. As for crab apple jelly if I can get my hands on the crab apples I use a lot of this as apple sauce with roast pork, in gravies, in sandwiches with cheese and crackers. I have two recipes that I use on a regular basis plain crab apple jelly and spiced crab apple jelly if you would like the recipes let me know and I will pass them over to you.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great Patty! E-mail me! Many thanks!
    Marie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, those are very dangerous! They should come with a warning, I have written this one down, thanks so Marie, I think!!! My hips might not thank you for this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking for classic American/ Canadian Cereals, candy and drinks, Try finding your nearest Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe. I have one within a 10 minute walk to where i live and they have bundles of multi-coloured cereals, root beer, Skippy peanut butter, Root beer and soo much more. Literally if i have money it can be disaterous going in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kylie, we have one of those in Chester. Could be dangerous!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie

    Just to let you know have emailed you. There is still one recipe to deal with will get that to you at the soonest.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are you able to get some of these things? Please share your sources. I'm not able to find any of these here in Scotland except for the Betty Crocker cake mix (I'd much rather have Duncan Hines) and even that is hit and miss. I can order some things on Amazon but it's so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those look like fudgey, gooey, marshmallowy fantastic ness!! I bet my boys would adore them. I've never tried fluffer-nutter anything, but I've heard of it! The only time I've ever used marshmallow fluff is for fudge, it's Stephen's favorite. Happy November, dear friend!!
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I am able to get the fluff at Asda, and Sainsbury's. You can find the cake mixes at most of the grocery stores, and yes there is basically only devils food and carrot and it's Betty Crocker, not Duncan Hines. I have found the Skippy Peanut Butter at Waitrose and at Sainsbury's. I also am able to get things at www.skyco.com.uk not cheap of course but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do and some cravings must be met every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie, Marshmallow Fluff, and the fluffanutter sandwich were both invented in my home state of Massachusetts, in the city of Melrose during WWI. It's been ages since I've seen strawberry Fluff for sale in stores. I was kind of surprised to see it was still made. When I was a child, instead of using marshmallows, I'd put a tablespoon of strawberry Fluff on top of my hot cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't read the responses from your readers in this thread til after I'd commented. To those in the UK who mentioned about looking for US products and how expensive they are, those of us in the US who have a taste for some products from the UK are in the same boat. For example, Yorkshire Gold tea, what I went through when I recently moved from one state to another, getting the grocery to start stocking it. Lots of the English made products, like some brands of your cookies, or biscuits as you call them, are very expensive over here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear MArie these look absolutely amazing!!! really tempting!!

    PS By says I cannot enter ypur blog finally I can today! sorry Marie! You know I love stopping by here! I will see others recipes!!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can't beat the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. The inability to find certain packaged foods happens even here, right within our own country! The basics you mention are easy enough to find, but certain brands that are popular in the north might not be in demand in the south. We always stock up when we visit back home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel quite ashamed to admit that I LOVE marshamallow fluff - I feel people will scoff at me for this admission though! I use it in loads of stuff and I am so pleased to see that I can now pick it up at the local supermarket for a fraction of the price that I was paying for it at Harvey Nics Food Court!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kraft Dinner is NOT what it used to be....they have changed the sauce mix and also the pasta and it's nothing like it used to be. I don't know how they managed to make something that wasn't very good to start off with even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Marie,
    Please post the recipe for the fluff butter that Pattypan mentioned. I have never even heard of marshmallow fluff/cream - we do not get it in South Africa - but it sounds devine. Especially paired with peanut butter - I simply love the stuff.

    Congrats on your book!

    best regards
    Ina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!