Lemon Streusel Drizzle Cake

Saturday 24 November 2012

 

I make no secret of the fact that lemon is one of my absolute favourite flavors. It has ever been so. In fact if I had to choose between a piece of chocolate cake and a slice of Lemon Meringue Pie . . . I would have a very difficult time choosing.  In the end I fear the Lemon Pie would probably win out big time!  I just love lemon anything.

 

I have a Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe that I think is the perfect lemon drizzle cake.   It's perfect for a couple of reasons.  One, it's incredibly moist and two . . . it's the easiest lemon drizzle cake you could ever make.  You just bang all of the cake ingredients into the food processor and then blitz them together for 2 minutes.  Easy peasy, lemon squeasy.  (Yes, that was intentional, lol)

 

Today though, I decided to add a little twist to it.  I was sitting and thinking about how I could make an incredible cake even more incredible and then the lights went on and I thought . . . streusel . . . buttery, crunchy streusel, but not just any streusel . . . a lemon streusel!

 

Bingo!  I decided to incorporate lemon flavours into my favourite streusel recipe . . . by the use of some lemon extract and candied lemon . . . but I wanted another flavour as well . . . GINGER.  Yes, I also added some candied gingerroot, because lemons and ginger are just the perfect marriage you know.

 

I made the streusel first and then sprinkled it over the top of the loaf just before it went into the oven.  About 40 minutes later we were rewarded with a beautifully moist lemon loaf . . . covered in a buttery, crunchy streusel, flavoured with lemon and ginger.

 

But wait . . . there's more.  I then made a lemon drizzle icing and drizzled that all over the top of the streusel once the cake had cooled.

 

Oh boy . . . some good, but don't take my word for it.  Bake it for yourself and see if I'm not telling the truth.  I am.  It's gorgeous.  Totally gorgeous.



 *Lemon Streusel Drizzle Cake*
Makes one medium loaf cake
Printable Recipe

An easy and delicious lemon loaf, with a lemon streusel topping and glaze!

5 ounces self raising flour (1 1/4 cup)
4 ounces softened butter (1/2 cup)
4 ounces caster sugar (generous 1/2 cup)
2 heaped dessertspoons of good quality lemon curd
2 large free range eggs
the finely grated zest of one unwaxed lemon
the juice of 1/2 lemon

for the streusel
3 TBS granulated sugar
6 TBS plain flour
2 TBS cold butter
few drops lemon extract or lemon oil
1 TBS chopped candied lemon zest
1 TBS chopped candied gingerroot

for the glaze:
130g sifted icing sugar (1 cup)
the juice of 1/2 lemon

Preheat the oven to 180*C/325*F/ gas mark 3.  Butter a medium sized loaf tin.  Line it with baking parchment.  Butter the paper.  (I like to leave an overhang so that I can just lift the finished cake out.)

Put all of your streusel ingredients into a food processor.  Blitz until it clumps.  Remove and set aside.  Wipe out the processor.  Add all of the cake ingredients and blize for 2 minutes.  Scrape this mixture into the prepared baking tin. Smooth over the top.  Sprinkle with the streusel.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until the cake is well risen and golden.  A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out clean.  Allow to cool completely in the tin.  Once it is cool, lift out onto a wire rack.  Whisk the glaze ingredients together only adding enough lemon juice to give you a drizzable consistency.  Drizzle this over the top of the cake.  Allow to set completely before serving.

7 comments

  1. Good morning, Marie!
    What a treat!I love lemon and ginger.
    Your recipes always come out perfectly.
    In fact I made your 'pluck it bread' two days in a row this week. Just perfect!
    Everybody loved this! Vanished as soon as it got out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH I think I will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks FAB-U-LOUS. I give it a ten.
    (Sorry, just been watching Strictly!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I will be making this soon. I love all the seasonal spices, but I need a little lemon now and then!! And we seriously love our streusel around here!!
    Extra special hugs, April

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely divine. I swear I was drooling by the last photo! Definitely going to attempt this! :)

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made one last night, making 3 more today. This is a fabulous recipe. xx

    Gabriel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you are enjoying this cake Gabriel! Thanks for taking the time to let us know! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!