Turnips Braised with Honey, Butter and Thyme

Thursday 22 November 2012


 photo 423780b9618d81b2104c8929954fef7c_zps91aa080f.jpg

I don't really have much in the way of food to show you today, except for some scrummy turnips I cooked the other day, which I'll save til the end.   I thought it would be fun to share my Christmas Wish List with you though.    I could spend hours surfing the web and digging up neat things that would be really fun to own . . . of course I pretty much have everything I need, but it's nice to dream sometimes . . . 


 Magimix 5200XL Premium Food Processor Pink 18569

I am just loving this new Magimix Cuisine Systeme 5200XL in pink!  It comes in a lot of other colours too.  It has three bowl sizes, an extra large feed tube and a metal dough bowl, with a guaranteed 20 year lifespan on the motor.  I wonder if I put it on my wish list if Santa would bring it to me this year . . . I don't think I've been too naughty!



 

I also love these cute little singing bluebird measuring spoons that I found on Rex London.  Add them to my wish list too.  (I know . . . I don't really need any more measuring spoons, but can you ever have too many???)

Cake Stand And Matching Dome

While I'm making my list and checking it twice, I would love to include this beautiful domed cake stand that I found on Not On The High Street.  I have never had a proper cake plate actually.  When I worked at the manor my boss had about 20 of them, each one very beautiful, cut glass, crystal, etc. I really like this one.  It looks really oldfashioned and antiquish.  I like old things . . .

Pair Of Heidi And Helga Egg Cups - kitchen

I love these little egg cups I found on Not On The High Street as well.  They're so cute.  I like cute things . . .

Hand Knit Egg Cosy - kitchen

And doesn't a hat on your boiled egg make them even tastier?  Also Not On The High Street.  These are so cute.  I guess I better dig out the knitting needles huh?

Birds On Branch Jewellery Stand

Isn't this Jewelry Holder beautiful.  It's from contemporary Home.  Of course a jewelry holder would mean that I'd need something for it to hold, right?  Anything gold with sparkles will be fine dear Santa!





Do you think he would fit in my stocking???

 

I suppose he's out of the question too . . . guess I'll just have to settle for turnips . . .

 

Acutally  I rather like turnips.  They're one of my favourite vegetables, not to be confused with Swede or Rutabaga, which is also a favourite vegetable of mine.



These are especially nice . . . they braised until they are tender and sweet in a mixture of chicken stock,  honey, butter and thyme.



*Turnips Braised with Honey, Butter and Thyme*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

An easy and delicious way to get everyone to eat their turnips!  I've never had anyone turn these down!

3 medium white turnips
250ml of chicken stock (1 cup)
(You may not need it all)
a knob of butter
1 dessertspoon of liquid  honey
1/2 tsp dried thyme
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste



Peel the turnips.  Cut them into like sized fingers, about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Place them into a deep skillet.  Add half of the chicken stock, the butter, honey, and thyme.  Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat.

Cook at a quick simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes until they are almost tender, adding additional chicken stock if needed. Once they get to that stage, remove the cover, season to taste with some salt and pepper, and then turn up the heat beneath the pan.  Continue to cook, gently stirring occasionally until all of the liquid has evaporated, and they are quite tender and glazed with the honey butter mixture.  Serve hot.


HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF MY AMERICAN FRIENDS!

3 comments

  1. Oh, good gracious, Marie! I love EVERYTHING on your Christmas list (especially including Rufus!!!) That antiquey cake plate is perfection--and you can NEVER have too many measuring spoons (or cups!)

    Sending so much love your way while I'm baking pies & getting things ready for our Thanksgiving tomorrow--thanks for all your inspiration, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think thats a great list, I like turnips too! I hope Santa fulfills you wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever eaten turnips. Love parsnips, roasted, but I'll have to give this a try.

    I've always wondered why rutabaga is called 'Swede' over there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!