Blueberry Macaroon Slices

Sunday 31 March 2013

  photo SAM_5784_zps6a1085ac.jpg

The Toddster and I are no stranger to jam . . . we both just love  ADORE jam.   We like marmalade too . . . but jam . . . it holds a special place in my heart.  Jam is something which I always have in my larder and I have my favourites . . . sour cherry, strawberry, apricot and wild blueberry are real favourites of ours.

  photo SAM_5786_zps217d6d04.jpg

I use jam quite a lot . . . some nights we have just buttered bread and jam for our suppers . . . that makes us quite happy.   Other times it's a slice of toast and jam in the evening when we are feeling a bit peckish . . . which is really nice too,  but what I really love to do with jam is bake with it!

  photo SAM_5788_zps947b7085.jpg

When I was a child my mother always made delicious raspberry jam filled  Feather Squares for the holidays . . . cake base, jam middles and a coconut toasted meringue topping.  She also made a lovely hot milk sponge which she would split and fill with jam.  We all loved it.

  photo SAM_5793_zpseacb5845.jpg

Today I decided to bake the Toddster a delicious jam teatime  treat . . . Blueberry Macaroon Slices . . . using my favourite Wild Blueberry jam.   They are quite similar to my mom's Feather Squares, but instead of a flaked coconut covered meringue topping, they have a Coconut Macaroon Topping.

 photo SAM_5791_zps37ee1418.jpg

Quite, quite delicious and something which really brought a smile to Todd's face.  Do I know the way to that man's heart or not???  I sure do . . . and it's with a jar of jam!

You're going to love, LOVE these!

 photo SAM_5785_zpsb51ce11c.jpg

*Blueberry Macaroon Slices*
Makes 16 bars
Printable Recipe

A short cake base, topped with wild blueberry preserves and a sweet macaroon cookie topping.

90g butter, softened (6 1/4 TBS)
110g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
1 large free range egg
100g plain flour (2/3 cup)
35g self raising flour (1/4 cup)
1 TBS custard powder (Birds custard powder)
1 generous half cup of wild blueberry jam

Macaroon topping:
2 large free range egg whites, lightly beaten
190g of shredded coconut (2 1/2 cups)
55g caster sugar (1/4 cup)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Butter an 8 by 12 inch rectangular baking tin.  Line with some baking paper, leaving an overhang over the long edges in order to lift it out when done.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg.  Sift together the flours and custard powder.  Stir it into the creamed mixture.   Spread the batter into the prepared pan.  Spread the jam over top.

Stir together the egg whites, coconut and sugar for the macaroon topping and dollop evenly over top to cover.  Bake for about 40 minutes until  a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the macaroon topping is golden.  Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into squares to serve.  Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.

2 comments

  1. You've combined some of my very favorite flavors and it looks so delicious. Happy Easter, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing Marie, I dont know why I love so much blueberries and blackberries are my favorites, yumm!

    Happy Easter my dear friend and a kiss to Todd:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!