Korean Beef

Thursday 14 March 2013

 Korean Beef





I can still remember the first time I tasted Korean food.  It was in the late 1980's and at a restaurant very near to where my ex Sister in Law had her office.  


There was a Korean Buffet restaurant very nearby and we went there for lunch one day.  For me it was love at first bite.


 Korean Beef




Korean food is traditionally very spicy . . . using ingredients such as soy, ginger, garlic, spring onions, mustard, red chilies, bean paste, wine . . .  


Kimchi is a Korean pickle which is very hot and very addictive.  
 

I keep saying that I am going to make my own one day . . . and perhaps one day I will.


 Korean Beef




Today I had some very lean steak mince that I wanted to use up and I was surfing the net looking for something to do with it.   


I wanted something different and yet very tasty.  I happened upon this recipe for Korean Beef here.  


It looked really delicious and very quick to make.   The flavour combination also seemed pretty authentic.


 Korean Beef




I was not disappointed.   It was not only very quickly made, but the end results were very tasty indeed.   I think it's a new favourite around here.   


I can't say that it would totally replace my other favourite version which uses marinated steak . . . but as a quick substitute it went down a real treat.



 Korean Beef




*Korean Beef*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe



Quick, easy, economical and delicious.   I use extra lean ground beef for this.  Anything else would be too greasy.



454g of extra lean minced steak (about 1 pound)
66g of soft light brown muscovado sugar (1/3 cup, packed)
60ml low sodium soy sauce (1/4 cup)
1 TBS extra virgin sesame oil
3 tsp garlic paste
(or 3 cloves, peeled and crushed)
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp crushed red chilies (or to taste)
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 bunch of spring onions, washed, trimmed and chopped
sticky rice to serve



 Korean Beef




Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the oil.   Once it is heated crumble in the ground beef and scramble fry it until it is evenly browned and no longer pink.  
 

Add the ginger and garlic pastes.  Cook, stirring until the mixture becomes very fragrant, about 1 minute.   


Stir in the brown sugar, soy sauce and crushed chilies.   Heat through to blend flavours.   Season to taste.   Serve hot, spooned over sticky rice and garnished with spring onions. 


Korean Beef 





This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

11 comments

  1. This certainly does sound so quick and easy too.

    I've only just started eating mince meat again as our local supermarket minces good quality mince in front of you and so you know exactly what's in it! Will have to try this very soon.

    Like you I keep intending to make my own Kimchi too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious Marie, may try it at the weekend:)

    Love n hugs

    Sheialgh

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe, by nature unless a recipe is unique and complicated I tend not to cook, but this really peaked my tweeter. Its hard to find that sugar here in the midwest, but I used raw sugar so hopefully its almost the same. My husband trys to walk 3-4 hours during the week and 20-40 on the weekend so I never know when he'll be home. Something like this helps cuz its quick and easy and can be made around his time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. I am making this tomorrow for Sunday dinner. I live in the United States. Can't wait to make it. I will let you knoe how it turns out. I follow your posts EVERY single day. As far as i am concerned, your Food Blog is the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addendum to prior comment from March 16 2013 16:52. I made it and it is so so delicious. I used extra lean ground beef (90% lean) as directed in the recipe but did twice the recipe. The only thing that I did that is different was to cook the meat until all the liquids (water from the meat, and then the juices from the soy sauce and sugar) evaporated. I did this because I wanted my meat to take even more color (but it was still not as dark as yours) and to be on the crispy side. It was so good. But next time I make it, I may leave some of the liquids. What did you do yourself? So I ate this last night for dinner (Sunday), and today (Monday) at work I just had some leftover but this time without rice and only with steamed carrots. It was very very good. You can also use this recipe and serve with big boston lettuces like they do in some Asian restaurants. The lettuce leaf would wrap the ground beef.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed this dish. I just did what I said in the recipe, but I didn't have any liquid left in the pan. The liquid pretty much evaporated . I love the sound of wrapping it in lettuce leaves! Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We found this extremely sweet, might try again with half the sugar though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this last night..It was absolutely delicious and will be a staple in our home.
    Thank you..as always~

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just enjoyed this a couple of days ago ~ EXCELLENT!
    It is a keeper recipe and I'll make it again and again, we loved it. Thank you Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you enjoyed Mari and Monique! We love it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!