Potato, Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake

Wednesday 27 March 2013


Potato, Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake


 We've eaten so much meat over these past few days, I thought I would take a break from it for a day or so!  We don't normally eat much meat, but I am not complaining, as it has been fabulous meat and I am very grateful for the opportunity to try it out!

Today I baked us a delicious vegetable casserole, using potatoes, onions and cauliflower.   It's like a version of cauliflower cheese without the creamy sauce.  Don't get me wrong, I do love me some cheese sauce now and again, but I thought this would be just a tad bit lighter after all the rich food we've been eating lately.

Potato, Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake


I can't take credit for the idea.  I adapted  it from the Martha Stewart site.  It looked really good and I thought it would be something we would both really enjoy.  I added the onion, because cheese and onion go very well together and I thought it would be delicious.

I was right.  It was.   It's so simple to make too . . . boiled potato, cauliflower and onion, layered with cheese and thyme, with a bit of stock added.  You could use vegetable stock and vegan cheese if you wanted to keep it totally vegetarian.

Potato, Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake


We both really enjoyed it and the leftovers tasted even better.  But then again . . . that's usually the case.  Leftovers always taste even better than the main meal . . . 

In any case this went down a real treat served as a main course for two along with slices of buttered brown bread, some pickled beets,  and some salad on the side.


Potato, Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake


*Cheese and Onion, Potato and Cauliflower Bake*
Serves 4 as a side, or 2 as a main
Printable Recipe

Deliciously different than the usually creamy sauced potato bake.  This is fabulous and very easy to make.

2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 of a small cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
8 ounces of grated strong cheddar cheese (2 cups)
2 tsp dried thyme
freshly ground black pepper
salt
80ml of chicken stock (about 1/3 cup)
butter to dot the top

Potato, Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake


Place the potatoes into a pot of cold lightly salted water, with plenty to cover.  Bring to the boil.  Add the sliced onion and cauliflower, and cook at a fast simmer for 8 to 10  minutes, just until the potatoes are tender.  Drain carefully and set aside for about 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 6.  Butter a shallow casserole dish.   Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom, all of the onion and half of the cauliflower.   Season with a good grinding of black pepper and half of the thyme.   Top with half of the cheese.  Top with the remaining potatoes and cauliflower.   Grind some more pepper over top and the remainder of the thyme.  (Salt only if you think you will need it.  I never do.)  Pour the chicken stock over top, cover with the remaining cheese and dot with butter.

Bake in the heated oven for 20 to 25  minutes until golden brown and bubbling.  Serve hot.

Potato, Cauliflower and Cheddar Bake


Do yourself a favour and make this as soon as!  You will NOT regret!  Bon appetit! 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

  Follow my blog with Bloglovin





21 comments

  1. I love the idea of using the stock instead of a cream sauce! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make this with leftover cauliflower and potatoes, adding onion
      as was suggested. I'm wondering, instead of chicken stock, if white wine or
      cooking sherry would work just as well (if not better). Any ideas? Thanks

      Delete
    2. I don't think I would use either one of those instead of chicken stock in this. Just my opinion. But if you do use them and it works, let us know! xo

      Delete
  2. I did too..and I could eat just that as a dinner

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic! I would put some ham in it (maybe some broccoli too, or instead of the cauliflower) to make it a one-dish meal. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was delicious! I made this tonight with a sauteed chicken breast on the side. I didn't layer everything as neatly as you did since everything was mixed together in the strainer. But it was very yummy and will become a staple side dish in our house.

    One note, in the printable recipe the instructions fail to mention when to add the thyme. With a 3yo under foot I totally forgot it until the end and sprinkled some on anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for noting my ommission. I have fixed it Jackie. You add the thyme when you season between and on top of the layers. I am so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this tonight and it was delicious! My six year old and eight month old also ate it. Great to find a dish that works for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to read it was enjoyed by all Kylie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My better half said I could make this any time - it was a GREAT side dish to dinner tonight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you enjoyed Rachel! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us all know! You made my day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love making casseroles and this one looks so simple to make and delicious. Can't wait to try it!
    Joyce Jeffers
    Welcome Home Recipe Club

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you will love it Joyce! Everyone does! Simple, easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was easy and delicious! I served it with roasted boudin so I left the thyme out - not wanting a spice conflict. It turned out to be the perfect accompaniment.
    Thank you for another excellent recipe. I'm already anticipating great leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jane! So glad that you enjoyed it! I appreciate you taking the time to let us know! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curious whether you can skip the pre-boil and just layer raw veggies as directed and then bake? Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had answered this, but it didn't go through apparently! Sorry about that! You could do that, but it would take considerably longer to bake. You would need to cover it so that it didn't over brown on the outside whilst staying underdone inside, and then uncover it for a time and let it brown.

      Delete
  15. This looks wonderful! Is it possible to get the Nutrition Facts - I am not seeing them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry but I just don't have the time to figure out all of the nutrition facts for my recipes. As it is it takes me at least 7 to 8 hours every day cooking, photographing, editing and writing my posts. I think this recipe basically comes out at about 200 calories per serving however. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  16. I made this dish for dinner yesterday and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was delightfully good and a very nice change from the usual cream sauce. Thank you so very much. This is soo,etching we will have often 💜😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased it was enjoyed. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on your experience with this recipe! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!