Mom's Fried Potatoes

Monday 29 July 2013

 photo SAM_7732_zps514b0b31.jpg

I wish you could smell my house right now.  It smells just gorgeous . . . like butter and fried onions . . . very scrummy indeed.  I  wanted to share something today which really isn't a recipe so much as it is a memory combined with a technique . . . a combination which is always quite delicious . . .

 photo SAM_7735_zps2d764063.jpg

We had company on Friday evening and I served  Raclette. In other words, I made my guests cook their own dinner, but that was ok.  They did not mind at all.  We always have it with boiled baby new potatoes.  I did cook rather a lot . . . just in case (as you do), and I ended up with quite a bit leftover.

 photo SAM_7736_zps100115e3.jpg

I found myself staring at them in the refrigerator today and thinking to myself . . . what would Nigel do . . . Nigel is the master at taking a few ingredients to hand and creating something wonderfully delicious with them.   In one of his earlier cookbooks (Real Food) I found a recipe where he had used waxy potatoes and slow cooked them, thinly sliced with onions and garlic, in butter until they were golden brown and then he banged some cheese on top.

 photo SAM_7734_zpscf76d309.jpg

And then I remembered the fried potatoes my mother used to make.   She didn't make them often, so when she did they were a real treat.   We loved them.  I have fond memories of the sight and smell of my mother standing over the stove and frying us potatoes for supper.

 photo SAM_7736_zps100115e3.jpg

She would melt a large knob of butter in a frying pan and then she would fry slices of cold boiled potatoes in the butter until they were gilded with butter and golden brown, crisp at every edge, with nothing more than some salt and pepper to flavour them . . .

 photo SAM_7738_zpsfc7bb481.jpg

Oh boy, but they were good . . . the edges all crisp and buttery, but the insides still meltingly tender and potato-ee . . . she could never make enough.   We loved them so very much.   And so . . . I decided to make mom's fried potatoes, except I added a chopped onion and some leftover diced pancetta to the pan along with a nice knob of butter . . .  and then  sliced the potatoes in, about 1/4 inch thick and unpeeled (because I am rather lazy you know . . . )   I sprinkled them with sea salt and black pepper and a bit of savory.  I stood there turning them as they browned and thinking about what a labour of love that was for my mother to make those potatoes for us and how very much we enjoyed them . . . with the smell of crisping and buttery onions filling the air . . .

  photo SAM_7739_zps622f8840.jpg

And then I pulled a leaf of inspiration from Nigel's book and I tore up some leftover Reblochon cheese from the other night and scattered it over top of the hot potatoes . . . allowing it to melt and ooze into all of the nooks and crannies and crevices . . . not something mom would have done, but I had it, and it wasn't cheap and it needed to be used too . . .

 photo SAM_7750_zps46cf15fa.jpg

And so we feasted on buttery, cheesy and crispy golden pan fried potatoes, accompanied with gently warmed leftover brisket, buttered rolls and pickled beets.  A meal fit for a King . . . and this Queen.  And we died and went to heaven . . . the scent of which is still tantalizing us, and will probably accompany us throughout the evening on into bed time.

I can think of much worse things . . . can't you?

8 comments

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm my mouth is watering at 4 in the morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the dish we used to make for my Dad when my Mom was running errands in town. Just made it the other day. I only use the potatoes and onion. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marie....now I know what I'm going to do with the new potatoes that I bought and didn't use at the weekend! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All our moms made those:)

    I still do..the cheese..looks like a future plan:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That takes me back.. my mother occasionally would saute sliced leftover potatoes, and when I was reading your article the scent of them sprang to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across this recipe on FB that you first posted back in July! Marie, this HAS to be one of my, if not THE, most favourite recipes for potatoes, I could eat them by the plateful! I usually fry a little chopped onion and bacon with them and have been known to add some cheese too, but however they're made, they're just TOO delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!