Cabbage and Beans

Tuesday 13 August 2013


 photo SAM_8144_zpsa2dafe0f.jpg

I don't do it very often, and my waistline shows it, but occasionally I do like to try to eat something healthy, and by that I mean low fat and filled with fibre.   I do eat healthy for the most part . . . just not low fat, which I suppose means unhealthy.   I can't win!

 photo SAM_8145_zps9de18b67.jpg


The other day I had some cabbage that needed using up and so I decided to make something for our lunch with that.   It's amazing what you can do with just a few simple ingredients and a bit of ingenuity.

 photo SAM_8147_zpsd6ddd9f4.jpg


One potato, a small cabbage, a large shallot and a tin of beans.  That's all this is . . .oh and a smattering of Parmesan on the top.  So simple and so tasty.

 photo SAM_8148_zpsa2662e0f.jpg

You cut the potato into small cubes and brown them slowly in ajust a touch of of olive oil.  Once they have begun to brown you add some thinly sliced shallot, and then a well drained tin of cannellini beans . . .

 photo SAM_8151_zps31de27b6.jpg

You let them brown too, or as much as you can do . . . beans are not something which are easily browned.   Then you toss in the cabbage and some fresh thyme leaves . . .

 photo SAM_8152_zpsdbdb4a96.jpg

Continue to cook until the cabbage is nice and tender and then serve up.  If you cut the cabbage really thin, that shouldn't take too long.  Of course if you are impatient you can parboil the cabbage first . . . just drain it really well.

 photo SAM_8153_zps37534392.jpg

Then again, you may enjoy a bit of crunch.  I do enjoy the crunch . . . but my tummy doesn't.   I'm afraid my cabbage has to be a bit well done . . . getting old is a pain in the pattootie in a lot of ways . . . and the way that things like this affect my innards is just one of them.   (I know!  TMI!)

 photo SAM_8154_zps8519b97f.jpg

Any ways, this was economical, simple, hearty,  delicious and quick.

 photo SAM_8146_zps0ea93fbf.jpg

*White Beans and Cabbage*
Serves 4

This is hearty and satisfying and not altogether unhealthy.  I love this.

2 TBS olive oil
1 medium floury potato, unpeeled and cut into small dice
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large Eschalon Shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 425g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed and drained again (15 ounce)
1/2 of a small cabbage shredded finely, about 3 cups
the leaves from one sprig of fresh thyme
freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve  

 photo SAM_8159_zps02ce4e08.jpg


Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.  Toss in the potato cubes once it is hot and stir fry, seasoning with some salt and black pepper, once the potatoes are tender and have begun to brown, add the shallots.    Cook and stir for a few minutes, then scoot them to one side with the potatoes.  Add the beans in one layer and allow them to brown slightly, scrape them up and allow them to brown some more.  Toss in the cabbage and season again lightly, adding the leaves from the thyme.  Cook for another few minutes, until the cabbage is limp, but still maintains it's colour.  

The timing of this depends on the kind of cabbage you use.   A savoy is not as sturdy as a white cabbage, so will not take as long.  Give it all a good toss and then slide the whole bunch into a large flat bowl to serve.  Dust with a good dusting of Parmesan Cheese and serve, passing more Parmesan at the table.

4 comments

  1. This looks good, especially as we get to cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, low fat doesn't equal healthy! Our bodies need fat, just the good kinds! :) In fact, I would probably eat this with an egg mixed in, or a big dollop of grassfed butter! But it does look super tasty as is. I just love cabbage. It never gets the attention it deserves, when really, when it is done right it is one of the most delicious of vegetables. And this looks like cabbage done right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I could make this with bacon and then my lot might eat it. I love barely cooked cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gals, and yes Ginevra, low fat doesn't equate with healthy. I love the idea of an egg with this, or a nice fat nob of butter!

    Bacon sounds like a fab addition Suze!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!