Clean Out the Bin Vegetable Soup

Friday 23 August 2013


  photo SAM_0074_zps3a0b74c7.jpg


I don't want to belabor the point, but as you know I haven't been too awfully well for about a week now.  Cooking has been at a minimum really.  ie.  not a lot going on!  I told my friend Julie today, I opened my kitchen drawer to get out the vegetable peeler and spied the pizza cutter and my tummy did flip flops all over again.  Not kidding!  I do think pizza is off the menu for a while.  The Toddster doesn't mind a bit.

He hates Pizza.

 photo SAM_0068_zps315d4f3b.jpg

I haven't been cooking which means that I haven't been using up the veg in the drawer which needs using up.  We all have weeks like that sometimes.   I hate waste.  Don't you?  So today I thought I would use up some of it and make a pot of soup.  Something cosy and comforting, and filling . . . without going over the top.

 photo SAM_0071_zps1c945d41.jpg

Something mild enough so as not to upset the balance of things . . . but still tasty enough to be exciting.  The Toddster loves thick vegetable soups . . . soups that are hearty.  He often buys himself a bowl of soup and a roll at the market cafe in town.  You and I both know it came from a packet . . . but Todd, he doesn't care.   He just loves soup and the thicker the better.

 photo SAM_0072_zpsf3779229.jpg

Looking in my vegetable bin I found a rather tired looking potato, a sweet potato, a small white turnip, a large carrot and a wilting parsnip.  I added an onion and a couple sticks of celery.

 photo SAM_0073_zps46d1d304.jpg

Did you know that sweating your vegetables in some butter and olive oil helps to bring out their natural sweetness and goodness?   I'm not sure how it works, but it works . . . they always taste better when they sweat.  Me, I don't like sweating much, but then again . . . I'm not a vegetable.

 photo SAM_0076_zps596b55af.jpg

A bit of vegetable stock and a slow simmer later and I had lovely soft vegetables . . . just ready to blitz to a smooth velvety soup with my stick blender. I didn't even need a lot of seasoning really.   I added cheese.

 photo SAM_0075_zpsb301b307.jpg

Some I grated and stirred in so that it melted smoothly into all of that velvet goodness . . . the rest I cut into small chunks and just threw in, leaving it as whole as I could.

 photo SAM_0077_zps2fc45389.jpg

That way anyone dipping their spoon into this soup would come up with a tasty little nugget of cheese.   Qu'elle surprise!  Delightful even!   The croutons are it's crowning glory.  We both loved.  'Nuff said.

 photo SAM_0079_zps968015cc.jpg

I love it when deliciousness comes together like this.  It's pure magic.   Cooking magic.  My favourite kind of magic of all.

 photo SAM_0070_zps5ad0e88f.jpg

*Clean out the Bin Vegetable Soup*
Serves 4 
This is a delicious way to use up root veg which is beginning to look a bit tired and that last bit of cheese from the other night.

2 TBS butter
1 TBS olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of celery, washed and chopped
a generous pound of mixed root vegetables, peeled, trimmed and chopped (about 20 ounces)
(I used swede, turnip, carrot, parsnip and sweet potatoe)
1 litre of vegetable stock.  ( use marigold powder  about 5 cups liquid)
5 ounces of mature cheddar cheese
1 TBS whole grain mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Cheesy Croutons to serve:
2 cups of stale bread  cubes
olive oil
salt and pepper
finely grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan.   Add the onion and cook until softened and golden.   Add the remaining vegetables.  Stir to coat.  Season and then cover and allow to sweat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the stock and bring to the boil.  Reduce to a simmer, then cover and cook for a further half an hour or so, until the vegetables are very tender.  Whiz in a food processor, or blitz with a stick blender until smooth.

Grate half of the cheddar and cut the remainder into cubes.  Return the soup to the pot and gently reheat, stirring in most of the grated cheese and all of the cubes.   Cook and stir until the cheese begins to melt.   Add the mustard.  Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.   Spoon into heated bowls.  Top with the croutons and the remainder of the grated cheddar to serve. 

4 comments

  1. Superb soup! Do get better soon !xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you,! I had my husband do the same thing yesterday after coming home from the hospital and being told I needed to eat lots of aft cooked vegetables and fruits without skins.i had filled the freezer with soft foods type dishes:) I wish would have known the secret all of these years of sweating out the vegetables in butter and olive oil! Thanks for sharing! Continue to get better and get your strength back! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. first! Are you better dear Marie, you have to care you abd tell Todd cares you :))
    This soup look delicioues I love veggies soup I will make this soup soon!!! because speranza is veggie, so now you know why I dont make so much meat in my blog!:)
    huggs xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great soup. When it cools off, I want to try it. Hope you are good as new soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!