Hot Artichoke Dip

Friday 2 August 2013

photo SAM_7818_zps7fac8b50.jpg


Sometimes I like to make Todd and I an appetizer for a late supper, instead of a meal.   Then supper feels like a bit of a celebration.  I had made homemade melba toasts yesterday with some stale baguettes and thought it would be a shame not to have something to dip them in, and so I decided to make our favourite Artichoke Dip.

photo SAM_7819_zps8af285d2.jpg

It's not much to look at, but oh baby . . . it's gorgeous and rich and so scrummy to eat!  It's a dish I made often for the dinner parties I catered for when I worked at the manor.

photo SAM_7820_zps581d80b0.jpg

You can add cooked shrimp or chicken to it as well, which makes it even more substantial.  But we like it just as it is . . . filled with lots of artichokes and cheese . . . three kinds . . .

photo SAM_7822_zpsb09dd3d4.jpg

Mozzarella, Cream and Cheddar . . . and garlic and shallots . . . and sour cream . . . mayonnaise and  Dijon mustard . . . and herbs . . .

photo SAM_7824_zpsc86f9371.jpg  

Did I mention how scrummy it is?   I can't overstate this fact.  It's incredibly scrummy.   Everyone will love it.   Seriously.  This is the bomb.

photo SAM_7817_zps1b07e639.jpg

*Hot Artichoke Dip*
Serves 5 to 6
Printable Recipe  


This is moreishly delicious. I  love that I can make it up using things I normally have in my store cupboard.  It is a fabulous appetizer to serve with chips, or toasted baguette slices, or melba toasts when you have summer guests over for an evening meal.  Actually it is pretty much delicious any time you serve it!

1 large container of cream cheese, at room temperature (250g, 8 ounces)
2 ounces strong cheddar cheese, grated (about 60g or 1/4cup)
1 ounce fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and cubed
1 heaped dessertspoon of sour cream
1 heaped dessertspoon of good quality full fat mayonnaise
1 dessertspoon of Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tin (400g/14 oz) of Artichoke hearts, drained and chopped coarsley
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced finely
1  small shallot, peeled and minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 jalapeno pepper, trimmed, deseeded, deveined and finely chopped (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
sweet paprika

photo SAM_7823_zps78463a0d.jpg

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. 

Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard and Worcestershire sauce until well blended.  Stir in the artichoke hearts, garlic, shallot, thyme, oregano and jalapeno pepper if using.   Season to taste and mix well together. Spread into a shallow baking dish.  Sprinkle lightly with paprika and then bake in the heated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown.  Serve hot with your desired dippers.

4 comments

  1. I really like artichokes, and this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is a gourmet version of the one I make and it sounds delicious! Artichoke dip is always a big hit here and I can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for the appetiser course for our anniversary dinner yesterday. I wanted something a little special and we both love artichoke. I made little melba toasts and we enjoyed it as a gourmet starter. It's so tasty and very moreish. I had to stop myself scoffing it all, as we still had main course and dessert to get through - lol!

    The leftovers were just as good today as a light lunch. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!