Hot Turkey Poutine

Friday 16 August 2013

  photo SAM_8220_zps9543ca43.jpg  

If you were to ask any Canadian what one of their favorite indulgent dishes is . . .  and hands down . . .  you are sure to come up with more than one answer of Poutine!  Poutine, that Canadian dish of hot chips (french fries) topped with squeaky cheese curds, and hot gravy . . . the chips and the gravy melting the cheese so that every forkful is a mix of oozy gravy, hot chip goodness!     

 photo SAM_8218_zps40586afa.jpg
Another favourite diner meal would be the Hot Turkey Sandwich.   I know I ate a fair few of these in my lifetime!   Canadians love to embrace turkey any way they can get it and a hot sandwich with two slices of bread layered with hot turkey and slathered in gravy, and served along french fries, peas and carrots and a pot of homemade coleslaw are up there on the list of favourites as well!  

 photo SAM_8217_zpsb22ed89c.jpg

This tasty dish today combines two of those favourite indulgences into something you are going to find yourself asking . . . now, why didn't "I" think of that!  DOH!  Don't worry about it, I've done all the thinking for you.  

 photo SAM_8216_zps43390d8d.jpg

What you have here is hot chips (french fries) . . . you can make your own from scratch, or you can use a good oven chip . . . topped with two scoops of poultry stuffing, and some chunks of roasted turkey . . . slathered in hot turkey gravy . . . and then doused with a combination of both cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.  

 photo SAM_8213_zps6461e12b.jpg

What you have here is a bit of a wicked indulgence perhaps . . . but oh well . . . you don't really have to eat the whole thing do you???     

 photo SAM_8207_zps386ba922.jpg
Ok, I'll admit it . . .  it's pretty hard not to.   ☺  By the way, you have to make my stuffing with this . . . it's really the best, if I don't say so myself, and I know . . . I just did.  

 photo SAM_8208_zps210e509e.jpg  

*Hot Turkey Poutine*
Serves 4  
It's your favourite sandwich, but it's not a sandwich.  It's poutine!  Chips, cheese, gravy, stuffing and turkey!  This is soooo good, I often just buy a small turkey breast roast to cook just so we can have it.  Why wait for Christmas and Thanksgiving!  


1 family sized bag of oven chips
(I like the Aunt Bessies Gorgeous ones, because well,
they're gorgeous!)
2 cups of leftover turkey, cut into chunks
leftover turkey gravy (or from a turkey gravy mix)
4 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup
leftover stuffing
(Or you can use my recipe, see next)

Cook your oven chips according to package directions. Mix the cheeses together.  Heat your turkey, and your gravy.   I take the stuffing and I stick it into the oven with the chips for the last 10 minutes, then it is nice and hot.  Divide your chips amongst 4 hot plates.  Top each with a quantity of stuffing,  Scatter with the turkey chunks.  Spoon the hot gravy over all and scatter on the cheese.  The hot gravy will melt the cheese and everybody's happy!   Serve immediately, with or without cranberry sauce!    


 photo SAM_8205_zps946dd3f9.jpg

*Poultry Stuffing*
Makes 12 servings

This is delicious.  Don't balk at the ingredients.  They absolutely work.  Just open your mind and go with it.  This is the most delicious stuffing.   It freezes well.   I pack it into a loaf tin and chill.  I then dump it out, slice and then wrap each slice individually and freeze.  When we are ready to eat it, I just take out what I want and cook it (frozen) in some hot butter, browning it on both sides.  Delicious!  Alternately you can spoon it into a baking dish, cover and bake at 160*C/325*F/ gas mark 3 for about 25 minutes.

6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 TBS butter
2 slices white bread, crumbled
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 TBS white sugar
1 TBS soft light brown sugar
1 TBS mild molasses
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp dried powdered sage
1 TBS dried summer savory
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Cook your potatoes until soft in a pot of lightly salted water.  Drain well and mash along with the butter until smooth.   Add the crumbled bread to the mashed potatoes along with the onion, sugars, herbs, molasses, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Mix together well.   Pack into a buttered 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.  Cover and chill for several hours.   This can be frozen at this point.   When ready to serve, melt some butter in a pan.  Slice the dressing and lightly brown for about 5 minutes per side.   This blows stove top stuffing out of the water!  

 photo SAM_8210_zps13ddd874.jpg  

Go on . . . make it, you know you really want to!

5 comments

  1. I really like poutine, i usually have it either with hamburger or chicken. Dont know if i would try it with turkey though, but i guess it would help with the dryness ofthe meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss poutine. I am going to have to try this. Just a shame we can't get cheese curds over here :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog! I love poutine but only rarely eat it because of the guilt. I like this combination though, especially the addition of dressing. Fries with dressing and gravy is another Canadian treat :) So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We in Canada (west coast) prefer Salmon and seafood, along with moose or deer on the Prairies. There is such diversity from coast to coast to coast, we love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right about the diversity of food in Canada Carolyn. I think in the Maritimes Lobster, Scallops and Clams are real favourites, but we also do love our Poutine and our Turkey! Oh, and my Uncle gets a deer every year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!