Macaroni with Tomatoes and Cheese, and a Creamy Macaroni Pudding

Wednesday 21 August 2013


 photo images_zpsab757933.jpg


I have been suffering with a severe case of gastroenteritis since Friday last and today is the first day I am feeling even half back to normal.  I don't think I've ever felt so sick in my life.   It began on Friday afternoon and rapidly went downhill from there.   I can't even begin to tell you how bad it was . . . but when I don't want to cook or eat . . . you know something is terribly wrong.

 photo macaroni_zpsccee30f1.jpg

Today is the first day that I have gotten dressed or out of bed.  The poor Toddster had to cook his own chops the other night . . . he didn't seem to mind overly much and has been a real sweetie pie bending himself over backwards running back and forth to the shops fetching me Lucozade, Orange Juice, Gingerale, etc.  What can I say . . . the man's in love.  ☺

 photo SAM_0022_zps7090e5c9.jpg

I was beginning to feel rather peckish today though . . . having only eaten one piece of toast and a small pot of yoghurt since Friday . . . I thought I better have something to eat, although I do admit to having been a little afraid to eat anything, you know how it goes . . . but the more I thought about my comfort foods, the more I wanted to make myself some. 


 photo SAM_0031_zpse417e7d5.jpg


Comfort foods.  They aren't the same for everyone are they.  To one person it might be eggs on toast, to another beans on toast.  To me . . . comfort food is Macaroni with Tomatoes and Cheese, which is pretty much exactly what the title says . . .

 photo SAM_0030_zpsa323662a.jpg

Macaroni, cooked . . . and mixed with a big nob of butter, a tin of chopped plum tomatoes, some minced onion, seasoning and cubed cheddar cheese, sprinkled with some buttered cracker crumbs and then baked . . .

 photo SAM_0024_zpsed17369f.jpg

Until the cheese is a molten mass of ooze, slightly tinged with the flavour of tomatoes . . . I like my onion raw in it, because I am rather fond of the sharpness of it.  It goes rather well with the cheese . . . some people would like meat in theirs, but I just like it the way it is.   I had a small bowl of this for my lunch today . . . and I confess . . .  I will probably have another bowl of it for tea.

 photo SAM_0021_zps218bcf32.jpg


*Comfort Macaroni with Tomatoes and Cheese*
Serves 4
Just what I want when I'm not feeling well and in need of comfort.  This says home to me.

115g of uncooked macaroni (1 cup)
1 (400g/2cups) tin of chopped plum tomatoes in juice, undrained
1/2 small onion, peeled and finely minced
4 ounces of strong cheddar cheese, cubed (1 cup)
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
knob of butter
buttered soda crackers, coarsely crushed

 photo SAM_0027_zps397c34fe.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.   Butter a casserole dish and set aside.

Cook the macaroni until al dente according to the package directions.  Drain and return to the pot.  Stir in the knob of butter, along with the tomatoes, onions and cheese.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper.   Stir in half of the crushed crackers and then pour the whole mixture into the casserole dish.  Sprinkle with the remaining crackers.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbling and the cheese is nicely melted and the crackers are golden.  Serve hot or warm.

Note - When I was a child my mom would have used velveeta, and by all means use this if you wish.  I can't get velveeta over here so I just use strong cheddar because I love it's flavour.

 photo SAM_0028_zps3d1f21db.jpg

Comfort is different things to different people however . . . and I'm afraid Todd doesn't find much comfort in macaroni with tomatoes.   Macaroni pudding is a different story however.   A week or so ago we got to talking about old school dinners.

 photo SAM_0034_zps2eefb8ac.jpg


Todd actually loved school dinners when he was a boy at school all those years ago.  In fact, that was the only hot dinner he had most days, and he would have a simple supper of bread and jam or whatever when he got home from school, his mother relying on the school to have provided him with a sturdy and nutritious dinner.

 photo SAM_0033_zps185e37fc.jpg

One of the things he did love most about his school dinners was the pudding . . . it was his favourite part.  Junket, or Spotted Dick . . . perhaps an Eve's Pudding, or Rice Pudding . . . usually something stodgy and . . . yes . . . comforting.

 photo SAM_0040_zps7a96e491.jpg

He told me about a Macaroni Pudding they often had and that he remembered fondly.  Now for a man that hates pasta, this got my attention and I went on a search.  This is what I found.  It's quite similar to a rice pudding, except it uses macaroni.

 photo SAM_0035_zps531be011.jpg

It must have been good, because . . . the Toddster ate two bowl's full without blinking an eye.  Comfort . . . it means different things to different people aye?

 photo SAM_0032_zps0f379a26.jpg

*Creamy Macaroni Pudding*
Serves 4 to 6
An old favourite from Todd's school dinner days.  Don't knock it until you try it!

6 ounces uncooked macaroni (1 1/2 cups)
1 pint milk (2 cups)
2 large free range eggs, beaten
2 TBS butter
1 dessert spoon caster sugar
a large handful of sultana raisins
the finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
freshly grated nutmeg

 photo SAM_0038_zps8a6b03a3.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a shallow casserole dish.  Set aside.  

Cook the macaroni until soft, according to the package directions.   Drain well and rinse.  Drain again.   Heat the milk over medium heat along with the butter and sugar.  Once the butter has melted remove from the heat.  Whisk a portion of the hot mixture slowly into the beaten eggs to temper, then whisk the eggs back into the warm milk.   Add the cooked macaroni, raisins, lemon zest and vanilla.   Simmer for about 15 minutes.  Pour into the buttered casserole dish.  Dust the top with grated nutmeg and then bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until set and golden brown on top.   Serve warm. 

I do apologize to anyone who is waiting on specific posts from me.  I will be on to them as soon as my tummy and time allows!  Sorry for the brief hiccup!

14 comments

  1. Glad you are feeling better Marie. The puddings were always the best bit of school dinners x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to hear you are beginning to feel better. Guess what we will be having for supper tonight, I am salivating at the thought of the macaroni and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you have my sympathies. I had a bout of something similar a couple of years back - you feel like you'll never eat good food again! Hope you're back to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling a bit better with each day that passes ladies. I don't think I have ever been this ill. I hope to never be this ill again!!

    Tracey, I hope you enjoy the macaroni and tomatoes with cheese. It's a real favourite of mine. So simple too! Simple things are often the best things of all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mac and cheese is a gown up version of a dish my sister and I made as children. We would take sobs of Mac and cheese and mix in a can of whole tomatoes. Thx for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear you have been sick, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omy dear Marie Im so sorry you was sick hope you really feel better soon!
    your mac and cheese look dleicious!
    take care dear marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not you too my son has been bad with that.
    What are soda crackers you use in your dish would love to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. scorpio66, I use the Italian crackers you can buy at Aldi. They come in either whole wheat, plain or salted. I like the salted ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TUC crackers would work very well too, as would Ritz

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - I hope your son is feeling a lot better now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Marie! I was raised on macaroni pudding and no one I talk to about it has ever heard of it.
    I'm so glad to have found this recipe. I try to mimic my Mom's macaroni pudding without a recipe and my grandchildren love it but I have to try this one....it looks delicious.

    thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darlene, I sure do hope that you enjoy it!! Glad to know I am not the only one who eats this stuff and loves it! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!