Maille Pepper Sauce

Saturday 24 August 2013

 photo SAM_0101_zps819d65f6.jpg

I often get sent different products to taste and try.  On Friday I received a lovely little pot of Maille Pepper Sauce, just in time for the Bank Holiday weekend.  This is traditionally a barbeque weekend . . .   the last hurrah of summer before we get stuck into the looming autumn!

 Maille Pepper Sauce (with a touch of armagnac & espelette pepper)
This Pepper sauce, with a subtle hint of Espelette Pepper, is ideal with grilled entrecote steak or duck breast.
Since 1747, Maille (pronounced "MY") has developed a unique expertise to offer you the finest French condiments and sauces.

Of course we had to grill a couple of steaks to try it out.   (And why not!)

 photo SAM_0103_zpse398f195.jpg

Our Verdict

I thought it was supposed to be heated and so I tried to heat it . . . aren't all sauces heated???   DOH!

 Nope, this is meant to be serve cold.  I went and got another jar so I could try it as it was meant to be.   Heated,  it tasted a bit oily and mayonnaise-ee to me, and I wasn't overly fond of it.  It split as well.

Cold it was alright . . .   I found it to be very rich and peppery, which went quite well with the steaks.  Neither of us could taste the Armagnac though.

Would I buy it again??   Possibly.  Heating the first jar, probably threw my taste-buds off a bit.   I'd like to really give it a fair shake.  Today just wasn't the day.   I have tried other sauces of theirs and I have always liked them, and  I do really like their Hollandaise sauce.  This wasn't bad . . . it just wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be.

And so . . . the jury on this is still out.



6 comments

  1. That's interesting because I have used some of their other products and found them consistently good, for go to ready made products. Husband likes their Hollandaise sauce on his Eggs Benedict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Good to see you giving your honest opinion though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey, I didn't say it was bad. Someone else might really like it. It just didn't do all that much for me. I just thought it was a bit oily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I really like their hollandaise sauce too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your honesty about this Marie - and I know what you're saying - once it's tasted and wasn't so good it's difficult to get excited about it again - the steaks look good though!!!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to look for this. I like just about any savory food with mustard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!