Roasted Beetroot and Goat's Cheese Salad with an Orange Marmalade Vinaigrette

Wednesday 7 August 2013


 photo SAM_7959_zpsb8df1e0f.jpg

I just adore beetroots.   I picked up a couple of nice bunches when we were in town the other day at the Green Grocers . . . a bunch of regular ruby coloured ones  and a beautiful bunch of golden globes.  Call them heirloom if you must . . . but . . . they're beetroot and they're tasty, and they're pretty to look at.

 photo SAM_7960_zps98c8d67b.jpg

Then we had lunch in Cafe Rouge and I had the most delicious Goat's Cheese Salad ever . . . I just adore goat's cheese, which is pretty amazing for a gal who grew up eating Velveeta and was afraid to eat anything stronger.  I've come a long way baby!  Their salad was quite simply baby greens with some slivered roasted red pepper on top, and some balls of soft goats cheese . . . and a tangy French Vinaigrette.  It was lovely.

 photo SAM_7961_zpsa71181bc.jpg

I kept thinking about it once I got home and knew that I had to do something similar here in my English Kitchen . . . but I wanted to incorporate some beetroot into it if I could . . .


  photo SAM_7962_zps7ad9f2d2.jpg

Something magical happens when you marry beetroot and goat's cheese together.   These two things are the perfect partners . . . the beetroot, all sweet and earthy . . . the goats cheese, so rich and tangy . . . the two together are a pretty unbeatable combination.

 photo SAM_7964_zps8d5252bd.jpg

I decided to marry them in a salad, but not just any salad.  A salad composed of baby salad greens, fresh and crisp from the garden . . . the beetroot roasted in it's peel until tender, and then sliced once cooled atop the salad . . . the goat's cheese rolled into balls and then into toasted walnuts . . . three perfect little globes crowning the greens and beetroot . . . but wait . . . it's gets better . . . 

 photo SAM_7965_zps3af381c3.jpg

I added an Orange Marmalade vinaigrette . . . delicious.   A nice wallop of Dijon mustard . . . white wine vinegar and olive oil and then a huge dollop of fine shred orange marmalade . . . ohhh baby . . .you know what I like!

 photo SAM_7960_zps98c8d67b.jpg

This was the perfect dressing for this salad.   The Orange Marmalade adds a touch of sweet and a hint of bitter, then the heat of the mustard and tang of the vinegar, along with the richness of the olive oil.  I think I've created a monster because I shall be craving this for days to come!

 photo SAM_7958_zps8437937e.jpg


*Roasted Beetroot and Goat's Cheese Salad*
with an Orange Marmalade Vinaigrette
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Earthy and rich and tangy delicious.  This is a winner all round.

150g log of soft Goat's Cheese (about 3/4 cup)
4 medium sized beetroot, washed, trimmed and unpeeled
6 cups of baby salad greens (try to get a nice mix including baby
beetroot greens)
a large handful of walnuts, toasted and then chopped

For the Vinaigrette:
4 tsp Dijon mustard
3 TBS good quality olive oil
3 TBS white wine vinegar
2 TBS good quality orange marmalade
(fine shred if possible)
pinch salt
1 TBS freeze dried parsley leaves 

You will need to roast your beetroot early in the day or the night before.  Take a large sheet of aluminum foil.  Place the beetroot into the centre of the foil.  I used a mixture of golden and red beetroots.  Pull the side up over the beetroot and seal them in the foil.  Place them into a preheated 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. oven and roast them for 45 minutes to an hour until they can be pierced easily with a sharp knife.  Remove from the oven and the foil.  Allow to cool to room temperature.  Store in the fridge until you need to use them.

Make the dressing by combining all of the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and giving them a good shake together. 

Divide your goats cheese into 12 equal sized pieces.  Roll each into a ball and then roll them in the chopped toasted walnuts.  Chill until you are ready to serve the salad.

Divide your salad greens amongst 4 chilled salad plates.  Peel and slice the beetroot.   Arrange an equal amount on top of each plate of greens.  Place 3 walnut coated balls of goats cheese on top of each.   Give your dressing a good shake again and the drizzle an even amount over each salad. Serve immediately.

7 comments

  1. Man, oh Man. This looks fab. I can just image all these flavours together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very good Bintu, if I don't say so myself!And so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinning this one for that dressing alone, not to mention the salad!! i told you I love beets. Are those golden things beets too?? So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinned and made.. a most delicious lunch today Sunday the 29th of September~
    Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have pinned this because Monique said it was so good. I love the technique of rolling the cheese in toasted nuts. I just put beets on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ms Lemon and you my dear friend Monique! It IS very good. Magnifique even!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!